Total Shop Scrollsaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Saw one of these for sale cheap. Would one of the more experienced SS'ers who know anything about this brand give me some pointers please? Should I not waste my time or are these gems? All I know is Total Shop is out of business and I remember going to their storefront in Greenville when we lived down there but was not impressed with their ShopSmith knockoffs.
Thanks!
Mark

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mark, I have never heard of that brand. Sorry. Being they are no longer in business I would stay away unless the price is cheap cheap. Can you post a picture? I would like to see the blade clamp system. Those are key.

For reference I started scrolling with a Dremel 1680 (which I still have). New price is under $200. Then I got better and also got WGD and updated to the Dewalt. They run around $400 new. That is a great machine. I would recommend either.

childe

New User
Chris
I agree with Scott! Stay away from it. I never heard of either. Looking to upgrade to the Dewalt myself.

Chris

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks guys!
Sorry, no photo on the Total Shop but you've told me what I needed to know.

Is there an older Delta SS you would recommend as a starter? I see a lot of these used for sale but I don't know which ones are good. They have a bunch of models. The one thing I know from a little research is that the blade attaching/changing mechanism is the important thing. I've seen a few complaints about the DW-788 relating to this. Any fixes?

sawduster

New User
Robert
As Scott said , the blade clamping system is key , stay away from anything that requires tools to change the blade. Pinless blades are preferable to pinned blades, as pinned blades require a larger entry hole and negate any detail cutting. Another thing to look for is " bottom feed " or " top feed " or both. This relates to the direction in which you feed the blade through the entry hole. With bottom feed, the blade is released from the upper clamp, the piece is lifted and the blade is threaded through from the bottom . I'm a " bottom feeder " ( ask my ex-wife :lol: ) but it is all in what you get used to.
As for the Dewalt 788, I have one of these machines and it is by far the most bang for the buck in my opinion. The 788 is sub-divided into 2 types. Type 1 and type 2 . This info can be found on the data plate on the motor housing that protrudes to the right . Dewalt moved their production overseas some time ago and began labeling them type 2. Type 1's are very hard to find ( almost always found used ) and definitely the superior machines. Dewalt had some production issues for awhile that resulted in less-than-flat tables and problems with the spacing of the blade clamps. The clamps were slightly too far apart resulting in issues with blades not staying securely clamped . This may be the issue you have read about with clamping. These problems have been supposedly fixed but there are still a lot of machines out there with the defects. The 788 is an awesome machine but I would hesitate to buy one that I could not "test drive" first .
I cannot comment on the Delta but know many scrollers who use them and are happy .
The initial question is "what kind of scrolling do you want to do ? " Throat depth varies from as little 14" to as large as 26" depending on the machine. Does the table tilt for bevel cuts? Is the upper arm fixed or will it lift ? This determines top feeding or bottom feeding ( or both )
If you find something specific, holler out. There are some awesome scroller on this site and I'm sure ( like me ) they have all done the same research and can provide specifics.

sorry for the long-winded answer, but it is so rare that something comes up on this forum that I actually know something about :rolf:

cskipper

Cathy
Like Robert said, most of the DeWalts are good. It depends how much you are going to use it and how much you want to spend (which depends on how much you are going to use it :eusa_doh:). I would definitely avoid pinned blades.
I thought I'd really hate have a key to change blades (which you need on the Hegner), but you can load several up and have them ready to go. In reality, I don't break them often enough to even do that. The only other time is when I am stack cutting a lot or for a long time and the blade gets dull. Once a blade is out of the package I have trouble remember which size it is and which tooth alignment it has. Getting old is not for sissy's.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Getting old is not for sissy's.[/quote]

You said a mouthful there ! :rolf: I borrowed an idea from Scott ( NC Scroller ) and made a caddy out of short lengths of PVC and tiered it on 2 levels ....kind've looks like a pipe organ, and sprayed them with grey primer . I use FD blades exclusively so with a sharpie I write the size, type and bit size on each tube, with one empty in each group for " scuffs "
This only works if I remember to drop the blade directly into the "scuff" tube when I am done. If it ever hits the table as a loose blade, I am again a resident of the state of confusion :eusa_thin
Oh to reclaim the lost brain cells of youth :lol:
Thanx for the chuckle Cathy :icon_thum

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Mark - I don't if he still has it, but John Karstedt had the Dewalt 20" (same as I have) for $225. That's a great price on a great saw.

cskipper

Cathy
Getting old is not for sissy's.

You said a mouthful there ! :rolf: I borrowed an idea from Scott ( NC Scroller ) and made a caddy out of short lengths of PVC and tiered it on 2 levels ....kind've looks like a pipe organ, and sprayed them with grey primer . I use FD blades exclusively so with a sharpie I write the size, type and bit size on each tube, with one empty in each group for " scuffs "
This only works if I remember to drop the blade directly into the "scuff" tube when I am done. If it ever hits the table as a loose blade, I am again a resident of the state of confusion :eusa_thin
Oh to reclaim the lost brain cells of youth :lol:
Thanx for the chuckle Cathy :icon_thum[/quote]

I have a storage deal tube - and have been using labels that I write all the info down. Then they peel, and I tape them, and then tape the tape.... A sharpie - what a good idea!

Oh yeah, my Delta is for sale too. I'll eventually get it listed in the clasifieds.

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wasn't Total Shop a knockoff of the Shopsmith brand? Would it interchange?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Gotcha it probably would adapt but kind of a moot point as I decided on the Hawk:eusa_danc.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Copy that. I'm not much of one to buy a tool I can't get serviced. I'm too hard on 'em. The only way I'd go that route would be if i could make what a break. Too much trouble for too little reward.

sawduster

New User
Robert
You've made an excellent score ! :eusa_clap Do you know what year it was made ? I have that same machine and I am very happy with it . They have made some changes and improvements from the earlier models, mostly with the blade clamps . It is American made and rock solid . The folks who make it are awesome to talk to and will not hesitate to help with set up issues or your unfamiliarity with the machine . Go to the website and you will find some useful video clips on set up and operation
Blade choice is a personal issue , but I am very impressed with Flying Dutchman blades and use them exclusively
PM me and I will give you my 2 cents on links and scrolling sites. I'm not a pro but I will also offer my help on techiques and such
Again, congrats on the new arrival :icon_thum

...oh yeah ........you suck ! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS