Tormek Grinding Wheel Change

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I am considering changing my Tormek to a diamond grinding wheel. In looking at the instruction manual it says the wheel has right hand thread, but the picture and caption shows the hex nut being tightened by rotating clockwise. I thought right hand thread was loosened by rotating clockwise. Advise?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
All the YouTube videos show loosening by turning clockwise and tightening by turning counterclockwise. Could be my machine is of an older model (super grind 2000) and there was a change made to the shaft on new models. I will try loosening by turning counterclockwise . Lefty loosie.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Keep in mind that using a cbn wheel on your tormek negates the wet option . you can remove the water basin because the cbn wheels are not designed to be used wet and they will rust.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Lefty loosie worked. Found quite a bit of rust on washers and shaft from the water. Nothing a wire brush won't take care of. Now do I really want to spend $385 for a diamond stone?

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I have a Tormek T-8 and am thinking about the diamond wheel also. What did you end up doing? If you did buy one which grit and is it that much better than the stock stone?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I have a Tormek T-8 and am thinking about the diamond wheel also. What did you end up doing? If you did buy one which grit and is it that much better than the stock stone?
Scott: I decided against the expense. I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost.

joec

joe
User
I have the 1200 grit diamond wheel on my Tormek. It has been enough so far for all my limited needs.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors