Tools for turning bowls

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I haven't used a skew yet - I'm not sure that I want to start with this piece. It's probably a good project to start with but I'm chicken!:oops:

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Okay, I have the tutorial made and uploaded to the downloads section.

Its called "How to make your own lathe tools"

Its one pdf file. I have a few graphics to show critical things.

Hope you enjoy doing this. Its a lot of fun. I have made 5 tools this way. All my others are old, old tools I made from grinding files down, then annealing them.

Those old file scrappers, over 20 yrs old, still are my favorites. The cut like nobody's bizniss.

cad

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Cad, I would love to learn how to make some of my own tools. I am a newbie to turning. I joined the Charlotte Woodturners Club a short while back. In all the years of working with wood, I never got around to turning.
But, now that I have a lathe, I am going to try to make up for lost time.
:)

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Greybeard said:
Cad, I would love to learn how to make some of my own tools. I am a newbie to turning. I joined the Charlotte Woodturners Club a short while back. In all the years of working with wood, I never got around to turning.
But, now that I have a lathe, I am going to try to make up for lost time.
:)

Hi Greybeard,
Some tools should be bought but scrapers are such simple designs theres no reason really not to make your own.

Making your own tool, that really works, adds such a sense of gratification it will amplify your pleasure in wood turning by doing it. Glad I could provide useful info to you.

cad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS