Tool Inventory Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeM

New User
George
I don't have a program for mine but I do use Excel and keep a list of what tool it is, cost retail, what I paid for it, new or used and where it was purchased.

It paid off several years ago when my shop was broken into and over $18,000.00 worth of tools were stolen. I just handed the Insurance adjuster the list and it was settled in less than 30 minutes.

George Moore

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Did I miss "Tool Storage"....gotta have a place to put all those tiny things. Or, in my case, all the tools needed to disassemble and re-assemble anything within arm's reach. Like the $700 Kennedy Tool roll-around tool box.

Just my 35,000 cents :wink_smil

Rob

New User
Rob
Just another thought, all of this is a moot point if it's stored on your hard drive and your house burns down. You would want to look at an off site backup, safety deposit box, or something, someplace else.

My .02 for what it's worth, I'm a bad example as my back up box sits next to my computer.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
One other thing to think about is adding the current actual resale value if they are to be sold. Just in case something happens to you and your family has to sell off your items. Alot of times things are gotten rid of for dimes on a dollar, and that would be a shame if your family could use the money.

Also keep this list updated.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Quicken has most or all of what you want to do as part of the software package. You can list all your property by location/catagory, record all the details about the item, print reports, etc.

That's how I keep up with my shop inventory plus photos in Adobe Photoshop Elements.

I just need to complete the same thing for my household items and store a backup copy offsite.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Just another thought, all of this is a moot point if it's stored on your hard drive and your house burns down. You would want to look at an off site backup, safety deposit box, or something, someplace else.

My .02 for what it's worth, I'm a bad example as my back up box sits next to my computer.

Send it to yourself as an attachment to an email, but leave it on the ISP mail server.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I keep a photo inventory of my household, including tools. I also try to keep a pic of the serial & model numbers. I use these pics to make a list of items (including serial numbers). These pics help jog my memory about items I forgot.

With digital cameras, this is really easy. Then burn the pics onto a CD or DVD, or take the memory to your local drug store/dept store and have them make you a CD.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
This is quite timely... I'll be using this list to help me remember what I had in the shop (for insurance purposes).

Thanks.

Scott

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
I use an excel spread sheet. I list the name and cost of the tool as well as where it was purchased. I then take a digital picture of the tool showing the model number or add the number to the tool picture. I then take a picture of the serial number plate. I add the pictures to the excel spreadsheet so that when you roll over the cell, the picture appears. This greatly cuts down on the data entry. I have also decided to start scanning the receipts and placing them in the cell with the price.

toolman

New User
Chad
That appears to be something like I had in mind. However, when I tried to convert it, there are several missing components that appear to be associated with MS Access 97 (listed as the requirement).

Heaven knows if there is already something out there, I would not re-invent the wheel. I may see if I can debug it. Thanks for pointing it out!

Rick

Had the same problem.. :no: LOML Has MS 2003 and I try it on hers same problem. :nah: But it said there was a problem in the Switchboard VB. :wsmile: I have been playing with the DB and it looks to work ok. :rolf: One problem I do not like is you can not add to the Category list, :no: you can but you have to go to the Equipment Table and add it in the Category Field under Lookup, Row Source. :eek: I do not like this but I will have to live with it or fix it. :dontknow:

jmauldin

New User
Jim
You have just prompted me to do something I should have done a long time ago. I have done this with household items and with my gun collection. However I haven't done it with my shop (shame on me). Regardless of which system or method used, I would also take my digital camera and photograph each item, along with the serial # and model #. You could transfer to a disc for future reference.
Just a thought.
Jim in Mayberry

Badabing

New User
Joe
This is a great idea! It also reminds me that I have to get on the ball and catalog my stuff too :eusa_doh:

What I was thinking would really be ideal is a website that actually did all the work and kept a database of every item entered so that others could then pick them from a drop down list. For example, each user of the website would get their own page where they could catalog their belongings. The site would keep an individual database for each separate user but everything ever entered would be available in a 'main' database. This way, when you enter your stuff, if someone else had already input the same thing, you would just have to pick it from a drop down menu. If not, you would enter it yourself and thereafter it would be available to everyone else on the site.

I know there are some software gurus on this site, maybe they can take this idea and run with it :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

R

rickc

Thanks for all of the ideas, input, and suggestions. Just to let you know I haven't "dropped a grenade" and run - I am on vacation until the 8th of July. Relegated to dial up. Probably won't be able to do much of anything online. Will catch up and update once I get back. Hope everyone has a great 4th celebration!

DavidF

New User
David
This thread and Scott's fire prompted me to start a shop inventory, so hopefully I won't have any problems should the worst happen. I haven't finished yet, but the first benefit is that I now know that my tools are not insured for enough. Currently $5,000 and I am already over that with the main stationary tools. I will be using excel for the db as Access seems overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS