Too much light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Just put 1/4 on 4 different switches so you can adjust the amount of light for different times and needs.

I am thinking an approach similar to that will be the way to go. Right now there are two separate lighting circuits from the breaker box which results in two switches on the wall by the door with each switch controlling a separate bank of lights in different halves of the shop. I am thinking of putting in two more switches (one for each circuit) that allows every other row of lights to be disabled.

Are they LED or fluorescent ? Most of the LED ones I have been looking at are dimmable. If you were closer I could bring my light meter over and see how many footcandles are actually delivered at workbench height. I am in process of choosing lights right now and am shooting for at least 100 foot-candles at 36" but I like (and need) a lot of light.

They are all fluorescent lights. One half of the shop has T12 fixtures that I got for free from my chiropractor. Years ago he replaced all his office lights with recessed lights and couldn't bring himself to throw them away. When he heard about my shop build, he offered them for free.

The other half of the shop has T8 fluorescent that I bought at Home Depot. All are 4' tubes.

So many hilarious comments. Both myself (and especially my wife) got a kick out of them. :gar-La;

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
Hi

When I built my shop I used a lighting program, it recommended more than I thought but in 11 years I have been using it I think I may need even more.

One important thing is to make the floor color a strong contrast to the white walls and ceilings. This was recommended to me by and industrial designer.
It is very easy on the eyes. The color I used was dutch boy porch tile red. You would be surprised how easy it is to find a small part ie 0 - 80 nut on that
color. It has held up very well considering the primary work I do is metal working ie lathe, mill etc. Its on concrete and has not peeled. I scrub the floor
twice a year and it still looks just fine.

Good luck

Bob

sandfarm

Joe
User
No. Your machinery will eat up some of the light. I just put in three 4 foot x 4 tube led and two 8 foot x 2 tube led fixures in my 16' x 28' shop. Walls are natural OSB board, white ceiling and concrete floor.
The concrete floor eats up the light. Besides, the power requirement for all of my lights is only about 3 amps.
So, you will get used to the light and maybe think that you need a light on your drill press, bandsaw, etc. (retirement light).

Joe

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Hi

When I built my shop I used a lighting program, it recommended more than I thought but in 11 years I have been using it I think I may need even more.

One important thing is to make the floor color a strong contrast to the white walls and ceilings. This was recommended to me by and industrial designer.
It is very easy on the eyes. The color I used was dutch boy porch tile red. You would be surprised how easy it is to find a small part ie 0 - 80 nut on that
color. It has held up very well considering the primary work I do is metal working ie lathe, mill etc. Its on concrete and has not peeled. I scrub the floor
twice a year and it still looks just fine.

Good luck

Bob

What program was it?

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Listen to us. We know of what we speak. I thought I had more than enough light when I built my shop, but I swear the electricity is getting weaker because they just aren't as bright as they used to be. :icon_scra

Bill,

Have you tried re-lamping your lights? Floresents do drop in light output as they get older. The better stores replace them all on a regular schedule because they have found that people buy more when the lights are bright.

Jeremy.

I would add switches so some could be turned off or add dimming capability, but sometimes you need all the light you can get. Just tell the wife that it's for those "all the light you can get" times, like when inspecting wood for flaws, or to spot the "run" in the finish on your latest project.

Just hand out sunglasses to visitors as they enter your shop. They can give them back after their eyes adjust. It will be kind of like going from inside a dark house into yesterday's totally clear Sunshine. Kind of momentary snow blindness.

Charley

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
The software was from a company called Visual. I have the printout sheets for each room, not much use as lights are no longer available. This is a link that appears to be the same.

http://www.visuallightingsoftware.com/Support/WhitePapers/InfoLink.asp?SessionID=0

I see no free stuff any longer maybe I did not poke enough. It has the same logo as on my printouts. I would assume 12 years later the software would be more comprehensive and they are in it for a profit..

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors