Too much light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I finally admitted to my wife the other day that I may have put up too many lights in the shop. She has been accusing me of it for a while. I have been in denial.....

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170518_185758.jpg
    20170518_185758.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 377

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
:wsmile:I think you'll be happy with the end result once the shop is equipped. Especially when trying to find a small part that you've dropped!

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I noticed the lights are not on in the pictures. I guess turning them on and taking the picture would result in this:
attachment.php

Attachments

• custom-white-square-foam-coasters-logo-designer.jpg
    custom-white-square-foam-coasters-logo-designer.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 328

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeremy, the light amount of light will be too much only if you paint the floors a shiny titanium white - then you may need to wear sunglasses inside. :cool:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Just put 1/4 on 4 different switches so you can adjust the amount of light for different times and needs.

Shouldn't ever have a problem with SAD.

[h=3]Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) - Mayo Clinic[/h]www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective.../basics/.../con-20021047

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that's related to changes in seasons — SAD begins and ends at about the same times every year .

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Have patience. In one or two or thirty years you'll be upset that you didn't add a few more. :)

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Are they LED or fluorescent ? Most of the LED ones I have been looking at are dimmable. If you were closer I could bring my light meter over and see how many footcandles are actually delivered at workbench height. I am in process of choosing lights right now and am shooting for at least 100 foot-candles at 36" but I like (and need) a lot of light.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Have patience. In one or two or thirty years you'll be upset that you didn't add a few more. :)

Funny you should mention that.

I've been adding light and complaining about not being able to see well. I've recently had cataract surgery with lens replacements and it's been eye opening (pun intended). No more yellowish cast to everything. White, white whites and bright. Had to replace most of my daylight bulbs with soft white and lower the wattage. Cut back the brightness on my computer monitors. If you have cataracts you really do have dimming eyesight!

No more glasses after 60+ years wearing them and being blind as a bat without them. But good sunglasses are a must for me now. What a treat.

And my shop is nice and bright now with the lighting I have.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can not have too much - you will really appreciate the extra light when you turn 50, then 60 and even at 67.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Well, you could always make a plastic enclosure around that area, change the tubes to grow bulbs, add a mist system and now you have a cash crop area for extra income. :)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

You can not have too much - you will really appreciate the extra light when you turn 50, then 60 and even at 67.

Listen to us. We know of what we speak. I thought I had more than enough light when I built my shop, but I swear the electricity is getting weaker because they just aren't as bright as they used to be. :icon_scra

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Bill,

You are partially correct.

I don't want to get into T-8 vs T-5 vs T-12 vs LED etc, but,

I replaced all of my 64, 4' T-12 tubes with new tubes (same K value) and gained at least 20-25% more light. At a dollar a tube it was a cheap upgrade.

Tubes do get weaker as they age. Mine were 20 plus years old.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not to worry Jeremy, you do have a problem, and you have received some good advice here that will enable you to continue down the rabbit hole as far as you want. If nothing else think what would Tim Allen do? More power!:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS