To hinge or handle????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Working on another box, and I would appreciate some guidance/direction. I am at an impasse as to whether this box should be hinged or get some funky handle and lift-off lid. It's unfinished Purpleheart and curly Red Oak.
Purpleheart_curly_R_Oak_box_001.jpg

Purpleheart_curly_R_Oak_box_003.jpg

Advice and opinions desired.
Thanks,
Dave:)

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Great looking box! :icon_thum Lots of unusual features, I like the funky legs. I vote for hinge. The reveal cut will be a natural lift point to raise the hinged lid.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I'd go with a "lift off" lid as the box looks like it's ready to "take off ":eusa_danc
Maybe something round, like a flying saucer or maybe go pointy like a rocket.

pete

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK, more food for thought. Prototype handle:

Purpleheart_curly_R_Oak_box_007.jpg

:icon_scra :eusa_thin :icon_scra :eusa_thin :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I was going to vote for a handle. My suggestion was to make a half round just as you did but decrease the size somewhat so that the handle does not become the object of attention. The handle if too large will be the focus of the box and the inlay and legs will not get the attention they deserve.

Attach the handle with a couple of steel or brass pins and some epoxy.

Nice work Dave!:icon_thum :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My suggestion was to make a half round just as you did but decrease the size somewhat so that the handle does not become the object of attention.

Attach the handle with a couple of steel or brass pins and some epoxy.

Nice work Dave!:icon_thum :icon_thum

Big Mike, you read my mind. I plan to use brass rod to attach the handle if I go that route. I have already drilled the holes, and have trimmed it down as low as I can go without cutting into the holes. I might be able to re-drill them....I give that a try.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hmmmm, I'd like to see another sample please:lol:
Solid semi-ellipse, maybe with slight concave sides to grasp . . . low profile and attached directly to top with no "air" below.

Hey, you asked 8-O

Great box Dave, regardless of hinge or handle :eusa_clap

Roger

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I vote HINGES! I like the flow of the box as it is and I think a handle would lead the eye away from the look.
Jim in Mayberry

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Dave,

I like it as is with that handle! I was going to vote originally for hinges, but the pic with the handle I think fits the overall design.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Another handle vote here.

Dang Dave................awesome design. How do you keep coming up with all of these neat designs? This one is very unique.

D L

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Cool looking box ... would make a great gift.

My vote is for HINGES ... maybe even some slick wooden hinges (they can be made with the Incra hinge jig) :eusa_danc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dang Jeremy, you're taking my scrap wood boxes to $300+ boxes. I've seen that jig and the hinges look really awesome, AAMOF everything produced by a Incra jig is incredible, but so are the prices. I like to make boxes because they use little wood and are cheap to make. I'm soo cheap that I've been leaning against hinges because I would have to go a buy them. But a lift off lid is all wood, and I got that.
Some day when folks are buying what I make, I can step up to that level...someday:-D :-D

T

toolferone

Any plans for a carving in the front inlay? Maybe with your new carving tools!

J

jeff...

I vote for the handle you already made - way cool looking box - love those legs:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Any plans for a carving in the front inlay? Maybe with your new carving tools!

Tom, that is a great suggestion, but with it being curly Red Oak, the wild grain doesn't lead itself to a successful carving, especially for a noob like me. But I really do like the concept and might have to include it into my next box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS