Timing gear clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
chain and gears 1 - small.jpgchain links 2.jpggear line up with chain.jpgchain link centering jig.jpgTiming gear clock.jpg After looking at the millions of catalogs we get every Christmas time, I kept going back to the one that showed the gear clock shown here and thinking it would be a great project with a little improvement. I can never leave anything alone my wife says. After drawing out what I wanted to do, I set out making gear patterns from a little piece of software I downloaded a couple years ago called "Gear Generator". It was free and does exactly what I've needed over the last couple projects. Once you've figured out the gear size, tooth count, pitch, etc., it lets you print them out full size and you can use that as a pattern to glue up for cutting.

Once I figured it all out, I printed out the patterns and attached them to 1/8" craft plywood. Most of the project will be made from that I believe. I figure I needed to make a 34-35 link chain. The 1/2" 'roller' section are oak doweling because the poplar I used at first usually had pretty rough edges once I cut the spacer to 5/32" to make room for the gear teeth. I made 3 gears: A large 18 tooth gear where the clock will mount behind and the gear will be able to move on the elongated clock shaft, a 12 tooth gear to act as the actually crankshaft gear and a 6 tooth gear that looks like the tension gear and will actually animate the gears and chain around the clock. I'm using a 3rpm motor, so I'm hoping the 6 tooth drive gear and the 18 tooth main gear will allow me to mark the 18 tooth gear as the second hand sweep. Theoretically it should work.

The clock mechanism has a 1" mounting shaft so I'm going to make a nylon sleeve to slide over the shaft once it's installed on the backing plate that will hold the 18 tooth gear allowing it to revolve around the clock movement. In front of the 18 tooth gear will be a clock face held in place so it doesn't move. I've made a couple different decals with clock faces on them and am not sure yet which I'll use.

The pictures show the progress so far.. I'll post more as I move along.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Nice project, I love woodworking projects that "work." For anyone interested in more sophisticated contraptions and clever woodworking insights, make sure to check out WoodGears.ca!

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike what a great idea. Thanks for sharing the play by play. From what I have seen on other clock projects BB plywood is the wood of choice as it is very stable and not really subject to bend and warp.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
That last pic hit home with me - I have the timing chain and gears from a 1970 Olds Cutlass 350 hanging in my workshop. When I was ~19, I changed the timing chain, not having a clue what I was doing, with minimal tools and zero help. I guess I did it right - put another 15k miles on that beast before I sold it. I should put a clock in it :>

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
OK...time and project got away from me while taking care of the grandkids. It finished so here's the last pic of it plus a link to a short video (24 seconds) I posted on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0yS5j6Bu20

Full clock - complete.jpg

I should add.. the last thing I added was a small circuit board from a company that makes the inserts for those re-recordable greeting cards. It plays "Little Deuce Coupe" when the button is pushed. The shot of the clock from the rear shows the motor, clock mechanism and the sound board.

Complete clock rear workings.jpg

The circuit board has an edge connector with a usb adapter that allows you to download a sound file from your pc. Cool! (Cost only $7!!)

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks for showing the back of the clock. I was wondering how you could get the gears sized correctly to keep the correct time on the clock. Cool project! :cool:

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Looks great. Motorizing the chain and gears and adding music is a nice touch. :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS