Timeless errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Finished clock from scrapwood and one dollar clock works I got from WWS sale last year. Figured if Tom was willing to display his errors, I'm obliged to do the same 8-O

First, the hole was off center. Second, the pattern I made for bandsawing was asymmetrical. Third, the hole wasn't round so I had add feature to coverup. :BangHead:

Ain't woodworking fun :mrgreen:

Front of clock

clockfront.jpg

back coverup

clockback.jpg

Well, the door will slide up allow access to battery :lol:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Roger, you just pointed out a bunch of problems that I couldn't see :slap: :slap: :slap: You got to learn when to hold them, when to fold them and when to shut the heck up :lol: :lol:
I like the clock, is it Maple :eusa_thin

Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I don't know Roger, I keep watching the hands and they're not moving. It may be broken...
Other than that, nice clock!:icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Really like it a lot, Roger!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

How is the base fastened to top of the clock? That is a pretty cool way of doin' a door for access to the clock workings!

Like DaveO. I didn't see any "errors in your ways" until you pointed them out - then I had to look hard!

Nice work!

Wayne

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Roger,
Isn't it great to know enough about woodworking to know how to hide those little mistakes that happen at times so that others can't see them.
Also, Dave is right, you have to know when to keep quiet!

BTW, Great looking clock!

Littlejon

New User
Jon
I got a bunch of cedar panels a contractor friend took out of an old house he was working on. I used one of the wider boards to make a WIP coat rack for my kid's room. I had a vision of an arched top that came down and rounded into the bottom. Problem is I have not been using a bandsaw long and I ended up making my arches "off". It took a lot of sanding to make it look right enough to run through the router to get the edges the way I wanted. In the end, I was pleased with it, but if you look close enough, you can see my errors! Of course, I am no where near as proficient a woodworker as most of you, so that should come as no surprise!

I also made a WIP footstool for an elderly lady in my church. It was a "present" from my boys, who "assisted" me making it. It was a simple top with large rounded edges with the legs set and an angle and sloping slightly to accomodate the natural position on the foot. It had solid side legs made from two pieces of pine that I decided needed and arch cut out in the center on the bottom of each "leg". When we presented it to her, she was thrilled. I noticed the next week, however, that she wasn't using it. Turns out I made the "legs" too high and wasn't comfortable for her. So, I take it back home and try to figure out how in the crap I can cut the legs without destroying it, as I had glued it up and stained it already. I finally ran it free-hand through the band saw and free handed the routing on the bottom. I managed to get the stain to match up so that the edge fell on an area where the curve of the edge began, so it is pretty well hidden as well. I wasn't able to completely cut out the "arch" on the bottom, but you really have to look close to see the crown of the arch! I will get a picture of it up so you all can see if you can spot the slip ups, the biggest of which was not letting her "sample" it before I finished it!

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Roger,

You are being WAY to picky. Just think of it as walking. You put one foot in front of you and fall towards it. If you are good, it works. If you are me, I have to bring my other foot up so I do not fall on my face. I constant series of adjustments.

BTW, what time is it?

John

sapwood

New User
Roger
Gee, thanks folks! Next time I buy a $1 clockset, it won't be 2 19/64ths in diameter :roll: The wood is maple (I think) and I made walnut dowels to reinforce gluing top to bottom . . . though they really weren't needed. :)

Roger

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
It looks really good. And as mentioned I didn't notice the mistakes until reading further in the post, when I knew what to look for. Good job!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Roger, I think it looks pretty cool. I'm don't see the asymmetry though. It looks pretty close to me.

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
All changes to a plan are design intent whenever asked, it is part of the original plan.

Looks good Roger! It is one more clock than I have ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS