Threading Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Got my first set of threading tools in last week and even tried them out over the weekend.

I bought the 3/4 threading kit through WoodCraft - by cleverly following a link through here. Decided I needed the counter-sink (bore?) and the nut template from Beal Tools. And bought the book because it seemed a good deal.

Also shown is my first attempt - a 1 inch thick Walnut Nut on 3/4 Blue-BORG oak dowel. Considering what they do to wood nowadays, I was surprised to find that the dowel was over-sized.

I was also surprised that I had to set the blade in the thread cutter. I was led to believe it was ready to use, as is. Once properly set, a properly sized dowel is very easy to thread.

I don't think I'll be making a whole bunch of these things, so I went with the hand-powered version. But the more see and think about projects, I may yet invest in the Beal Tool that uses a router to cut the threads.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for sharing, I recently found an old plan that requires threading so I will be trying this. Did you use any lubricant when threading ? The article I read mentioned using thinned mineral oil to reduce tear out. :wsmile:

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
They did mention oils, though not "thinned out mineral oil". Just your typical finishing oils. That was in the instructions that came with the threader.

I did not use any oil and the threads on the rod did take a little sanding.

I haven't taken the time to read the book yet.:dontknow:

nelsone

New User
Ed
I recently bought the 1" threader for something I am thinking of making, but I may have to invest in either a 1/2" or 3/4 so I can make my own hand screws. They are fun to play with!

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
I wish I kept better track of where I've surfed. I came across one woodworker who had built a planer stand. He used 1 inch threaded dowels and nuts to raise/lower the wheels as needed. I thought that was too cool.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Thanks for the sharing, it's just encouraging.
I bought a 1-1/4" threading kit from WC, took it out several times,
haven't really put it to use yet.

Regards.

Pinwu

gritz

New User
Robert
I have an old Peugeot threading tool I bought about 35 years ago.
I have never been able to find a reference so that I could value it.
I will try to find time to take a picture and post it (if I can figure out how to do that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors