Threaded Rod Glue Spreader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great idea! I always have threaded rod around, but washing PVA glue off a threaded rod involves WATER! LOML won't let me do it in the house & I don't have water in the shop. I also gotta be sure the rod is plated. PVA will rust mild steel pretty quickly.:thumbs_do But wait! Didn't I see someone selling plastic threaded rod somewhere? Now that would be the ticket!:icon_thum Oh, another idea! Heat the threaded rod & press the edge of an old credit card against it for a few moments. Voila! Instant notched glue trowel!
I love it when the juices get going like this. Thanks!

M

McRabbet

Dennis -- that is a marvelous idea! I'd suggest you follow Junquecol's lead and submit that immediately to your favorite woodworking magazine for their Tips and Tricks. You might get a nice reward!

JOAT

New User
Theo
Unless I'm really missing something, I can't see any advantage that's worth the hassle of keeping track of, and using, what I see as just one more gadget. The ony 'special' glue spreader that I consider worthwile is the times I use a paint brush, and that's usually only for specific glue ups. Otherwise it's a popsicle stick, piece of scrap wood, my finger, or just direct from the glue bottle, whichever is appropriate at the time. For cleanup, toss the popsicle stick or scrap wood, wipe your finger on your pants, close the glue bottle. No prob.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I think the advantage is you get the right amount of glue spread evenly like when you put down tile. Probably end up with stronger joints and less squeezout too.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry, but you guys ARE my favorite WW mag. Someone wants to submit, just send my share of the $$ to United Way.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
What about using a plastic comb to spread it, then wipe off the glue with a rag? Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That sounds like it'd work:thumbs_up, but I'd have to try just swishing the comb around in a cup of water to clean it out of the teeth. Glue has a tendency to run up the teeth by capillary action and would be hard to dislodge with a cloth. Of course, you need t' be careful where you put the water afterwards :wconfused:- not to mention the comb.:wconfused: Furthermore, I'm always losing the combs I have & the credit card companies send me the 'fake' credit cards free! I like the CLEAR ones.

JOAT

New User
Theo
I think the advantage is you get the right amount of glue spread evenly like when you put down tile. Probably end up with stronger joints and less squeezout too.

I've read that. over and over. And thought about it, over and over. I still don't see any advantage, for me at least.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Sorry, but you guys ARE my favorite WW mag. Someone wants to submit, just send my share of the $$ to United Way.

Man...got to love the attitude around here...if everyone was as 'unselfish' as the people on this site..

BTW, I think that is a GREAT idea! (Now, I've no longer hijacked the thread ;-) )

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
I use the "sample" credit cards. Sometimes I cut them with dressmaker's shears if I want a notched edge. Then after using 2/4 sides depending on size needed.....toss in trash. The transparent ones that American Express sends are my favorites. One suggestion, if you use the shears either buy a pair or I strongly suggest that you do it while LOYL is NOT at home.:wink_smil

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Holy Cow! I've thrown away enough plastic hotel room keys to furnish everyone on this site! Wish I'd read this BEFORE I retired and quit travelling so much!

:wwink:

SkintKnuckle

New User
Martin
Glue spreaders are generally used to control the amount of adhesive applied, to make sure there's enough and ESPECIALLY not to waste any. The grooving on a threaded rod are most likely too shallow to apply enough adhesive. Also, Dennis is correct in the it'll rust the rod, unless you go with stainless, the pH of most PVA's is 4.0 to 4.5 (ever wonder why they have a slight vinegar odor?), and less if you're using one of the cross-link PVAs like Titebond II or III.

The guys in the lab generally used cheapie paint brushes with the bristles trimmed back to about 1/4 or 3/8 inch. They wash a lot better than a glue spreader. By the way PVA's are biodegradable, so there's no concern to flush the wash water down the drain, just chase it with plenty of water.

By the way, I either use a stick or my finger and wipe on my clothes.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The link on the original post was sponsored by Gorilla Glue's new type 2 PVA adhesive. I'm thinking they agreed with this method. They're in the business of selling glue and if they endorse a method that uses less glue than I currently use and are staking the success of a new (to them) product they get my attention. YMMV with other glues but I doubt it. All the PVA glues are incredibly strong and exceed the strength of wood if properly applied, clamped and allowed to set up.

Dennis' (Gotch6) idea about using a heated threaded rod on a plastic card is definitely a great idea and gets around concerns about rust and cleaning, etc. I've been using the same laminated Blockbuster Video card for 10 years. It's got the right "feel" if you know what I mean....kinda like a favorite guitar pick. It's flexibility allows the dried glue to peel right off the next time I need it.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
You know what works well for really large glue ups - a piece of one of the pool noodle flotation devices with a really long dowel stuck through it :mrgreen:.

Well, it worked for me last time hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors