Threaded insert question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
They say there is no stupid question so here goes. I am attaching the top of a display cabinet to the bottom section. I have four threaded inserts that I have placed in the bottom of the top section aligned over four holes that were drilled into the top of the bottom cabinet. This is a woodsmith pattern. I have four screws that I will screw in from the underside of the bottom cabinet. These plans are so detailed I question why they don't show the screws going into the cabinet and they don't bring it out in the instructions. It is so obvious I guess, they felt it didn't need to be said. They also didn't say not to drill all the way through the bottom section of the top cabinet so I have four holes to plug, so everything isn't obvious. Thanks for the help. Lorraine

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lorraine can you post a picture? That might help get you answers. I will be up your way this weekend. If you don't have it solved by then I can drop over.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I think they are saying to put the threaded inserts into "blind holes" in the bottom plate of the top cabinet. If you drill all the way through, the holes will show when looking into the top cabinet. You will need either a Forstner or brad-point drill bit to make the holes for the inserts. The inserts will need to be less length than the thickness of the bottom piece of the top cabinet. The screws will have to be short enough so they do not bottom out before drawing tight.
If the holes are not visible when looking into the top cabinet, then I wouldn't worry about it. If they are, maybe you can cover it with a thin piece (like veneer) or cut some thin plugs to insert into the top side. If you leave the holes open, you may need to put a drop of epoxy on the threaded inserts so they won't continue to thread their way through the piece if the screw threads are tight.

Threaded inserts usually are put in "stopped" or '"blind" holes (ie: holes that do not go all the way through) so that if the screw catches, the insert cannot continue threading out the back side.

Hope this is not too confusing and helps some.

Go

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Mark, you are correct. I did go all the way through and will have to plug the hole. Scott, I hope to have the top attached and the faceframe on by the end of tomorrow. This cabinet has been so much fun to make. I recommend Woodsmith, they teach a lot of new techniques. Thanks for the help. Lorraine

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Mark, you are correct. I did go all the way through and will have to plug the hole. Scott, I hope to have the top attached and the faceframe on by the end of tomorrow. This cabinet has been so much fun to make. I recommend Woodsmith, they teach a lot of new techniques. Thanks for the help. Lorraine

You could always make the plugs out of a contrasting wood. Give it that unique design touch. ;-)

I too have had to do the unique design touch on more than one occassion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors