Thoughts on the creation of a wood club....

JayMan72

Jay
User
Hey all,

My wife and I are recent transplants from Tampa, FL.

I belonged to a local wood club there where I learned a lot and had a great time “talking shop’’ with other people that have the same love of wood work. I assumed that once we got up here there would be a huge amount of clubs to pick from and much to my shock there is not.

So this brings me to my question:

How would people in the area of Winston-Salem/Kernersville/High Point/Greensboro feel about starting our own wood club?

If I get enough interest I will start the process of looking for a site to meet and figure out what costs would be needed for dues, etc.

Thanks in advance

Jason
Kernersville, NC

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ah, why not use the NCWW forum?
(Maybe I don't know what a "wood club" is...)

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
We started the Western NC Woodworkers Association in the Asheville/Hendersonville area 15 years ago -- our three founders (including me) were all members of NCWW. Like NCWW, we are a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization. Until the pandemic, we met every 2nd Saturday of the month and have averaged about 70 members. Now that we are nearing the end of the mandated assembly restrictions, we are meeting again on June 19th -- and our speaker is a NCWW member! By all means, I strongly endorse forming a club so members can share their knowledge in person and pass along woodworking skills.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
We started the Western NC Woodworkers Association in the Asheville/Hendersonville area 15 years ago -- our three founders were all members of NCWW. Like NCWW, we are a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization. Until the pandemic, we met every 2nd Saturday of the month and have averaged about 70 members. Now that we are nearing the end of the mandated assembly restrictions, we are meeting again on June 19th -- and our speaker is a NCWW member! By all means, I strongly endorse forming a club so members can share their knowledge in person and pass along woodworking skills.
who is speaking in June Rob?

Roger45

Roger
Corporate Member
I would love a in person group get together, of course weekend meeting is required because of work requirements

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Wiley Cotton (Wiley's Woodworks on NCWW) from Waynesville. He'll be accompanied by Brian Wurst, lead Instructor for the Master Crafts-Wood program at Haywood Community College. They'll be talking about moving from the hobby side of woodworking into the business side. We'll meet at 9:30 AM on the 19th at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop in Fletcher (Masks and temperature checks will be required; full Covid-19 vaccinations preferred).

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A good start is maybe a monthly rotating drop-in to folks shops. Kind of like out noggin & natter we have in the MG club. A different person can hose every month.

Another is a weekly set time for a breakfast or lunch at some central location. Again, kind of likes cars & coffee meets.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I was a member of The Charlotte Woodworkers Assoc. for a good many years. I also attended the York club in South Carolina. The Charlotte club got too structured for my taste, and I at 80 can't see to drive at night so I can't get to York. I do like an In person club, but for now NCWW fills my needs for both knowledge, and friendship. Now that it seems the pandemic is letting up, NCWW may start to have get togethers again. That were great fun and I do miss them. Scott's MG club looks like a good model to start a club. Just my 2¢ worth.

Pop

Roger45

Roger
Corporate Member
Why don’t we start with a lunch meeting in Winston Salem on the 2nd Saturday of the month. That way we can see what everyone interested in the following months. I’m located near Hickory so we would need somebody local to come up a location to start with. Remember beer is required for some of us after a long drive.

JayMan72

Jay
User
I like the idea of doing a meet up for lunch (and beers). I think we should look for a spot that’s as close to midway from those interested.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors