Thinning tung oil

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I want a solvent to thin tung oil which is not citrus (orange). We used a citrus based solvent to help remove mastic after removing floor tile in the basement in an 8 story building. It smelled good for about 15 minutes. We ended up evacuating the whole building because everyone was sick from the citrus smell.

This was in the 90's and just thinking about the smell makes me sick.

Food safe is also a requirement. I would like to not use mineral oil because it never dries.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I want a solvent to thin tung oil which is not citrus (orange). We used a citrus based solvent to help remove mastic after removing floor tile in the basement in an 8 story building. It smelled good for about 15 minutes. We ended up evacuating the whole building because everyone was sick from the citrus smell.

This was in the 90's and just thinking about the smell makes me sick.

Food safe is also a requirement. I would like to not use mineral oil because it never dries.
Many different potions are sold as "tung oil". What does the container label recommend as a solvent?

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
No oil base solvent is food safe.

You may heat the oil to make it spread easier.
Would using the work thinner make any difference? I seem to remember a post of yours where you said you use linseed oil. Am I correct?
Many different potions are sold as "tung oil". What does the container label recommend as a solvent?
I know what you mean when you say "as tung oil". You can not trust if you buy olive oil that it really is olive oil.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use flax seed oil, yes it is the same oil with a different name.
Flax seed oil is used as a health food so it is food quality.
Not just food safe, but actual food that is intended to be ingested.

mpeele

michael
User
I use turpentine to thin tung oil based finishes that have an added resin. All the pure tung oil i have ever used is so thin it does not need thinning. If you want to speed up the apparent drying I use a heat gun after applying a coat of an oil finish. What finish are you using.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I use flax seed oil, yes it is the same oil with a different name.
Flax seed oil is used as a health food so it is food quality.
Not just food safe, but actual food that is intended to be ingested.
Sorry, I actually meant to say flax seed oil.
I use turpentine to thin tung oil based finishes that have an added resin. All the pure tung oil i have ever used is so thin it does not need thinning. If you want to speed up the apparent drying I use a heat gun after applying a coat of an oil finish. What finish are you using.
cutting boards and those other kind of boards I can not pronounce or spell, food safe is needed, have not used tung oil or linseed oil in decades, I just remember it being very thick and slow to dry, if is thin it makes me wonder if it is pure tung oil

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS