Thinking of purchasing a Shopsmith Mark V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzymanii

New User
Update your profile with your name
As some of you know, my workshop is in a converted 8x45x9.5 shipping container. This has worked well for me, but space is a bit cramped in some ways. So I'm thinking about buying a shopsmith (used).

I know that there is always the argument about "You spend half your time converting it from x to y so you can do it". I'm more or less cool with that as I'm kinda used to working with one tool at a time anyway.

I've seen lots of shopsmith's available for prices ranging from $600.00 for an old basic one, to $1600 for a newer one with lots of extras.

Other than that, anyone got any success stories/horror stories to share?

My logic on buying this is my tablesaw is old, flaky, out of true and in dire need of replacement. I don't have a lathe and want one, I don't have a decent size (or reliable for that matter) drill press, and want one, the sanders are alwasys useful, and most of the ones I have looked at had the band saw attachment, which I also don't have and want.

So what do you all think?

Am I as out of my mind as my wife says I am?

James

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
James,

A guy I work with swears by Shopsmith. He has used one for over 20 years and won't even consider purchasing seperate tools. He says if his ever dies, he will happily go out and buy a new one.

That probably doesn't help a lot, but it's my 2 cents anyway:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Get separate tools if you can afford it and have the space. You'll never regret it. The SS has a strength in floorspace, but every attachment has a compromise over dedicated tools that you have to "live with" and "work around".

Good Luck,

John

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
James--------I agree with woodguy. However, it depends on how you plan to use it-------a few hours ocassionally or 4-8 hours a day? At any rate, I have one that may be for sale if that is the route you decide. I use it ocassionally and it does a good job for what I do with it. I really do not "need" it. So.............let me know via email or pm if you are interested and I will provide more information.:)

Jerry

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well well, I am gonna get up on my soap box.

I'm very pro-shopsmith. Also, no tool is perfect. I always say, you gotta eat it somewhere.

First, operation change overs are not the issue you may think it is. Case in point, after you do the setup for the table, it is trued up and used by tablesaw, sander, drillpress and horiz boring mode.

Second, it is made to be maintained. Shopsmith sells everything down to a single set screw. I've ordered a tiny retaining clip. Each catalog they mail has full drawings and part numbers for everything they sell.

Mobile tool base? All parts of the shopsmith are mounted onto one mobile base. No need for seperate bases.

I got my shopsmith used. Its about 40 years old and still works great.

Space savings? You better believe it. I work out of a 12x12 shop. The mobility and foot print are very helpful. Also, I take advantage of storage under the tubes.

We are also very lucky to have the only east coast shopsmith service center in Raleigh. I took my headstock in for an overhaul.

The company is amazing. They stand by all their products and have actual trained customer service staff who are sitting near every possible configuration they offer. You ask them a question, they got the answer. They also support all versions of the Mark V going back to the 500.

Drawbacks? Table is small. New parts and accesories are a bit pricey (but of high quality). Some of the new options (say the 520 table) are not available on older models without major upgrades. Tilting table does make outfeed support a bit, uhm, creative. For optimal workflow, sometimes you need to approach a project differently than seperate tools.

I come down to price/performance. For the money, I do not believe you can get the same level of quality or number of powertool buying seperate tools. New or used.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

Jim

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
My only comment is to make sure you are buying a shopsmith and not one of the knockoffs that were around for a while.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I owned one for twenty years while moving around in the Navy. I didn't have much shop space and it served me well in those conditions. However once I had the space I sold it (for twice what I paid for it:-D paid for a new Delta drill press, bandsaw, and some assessories) However . . .

It has serious drawbacks- Table too small for a table saw. The table tilts vice the blade for cutting bevels. The table goes up and down vice the blade so you are always having to adjust the extension supports. Frankly it is very poor and even dangerous as a tablesaw.

Look at all the SS add-on attachments- many are aimed at making the SS work like a (better) standalone tool so why not buy a standalone tool.

The basic machine and assessories are expensive. The single purpose assesory tools cost almost as much (or more in some cases) as an individual tool.

I could go on and on here, but the bottom line is go with individual tools if you have the space.

By the way, I have a SS 4" jointer I'll sell cheap.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Had one - hated it.

Got a Ryobi BT3100, Delta Tabletop Jointer, Craftsman Planer, Jet 12" bandsaw, Rikon Drill press, Rikon Sander. Cost just a bit over a grand. Fine setup for small projects and doesn't take up a lot of space.

pete

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've had one since 1980.
Does a little of everything, but nothing well. All the parts/acc are very expensive. Headstock for example is $1,300.00. You can check prices on the SS web site to get a feel of the cost.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Not a big shopsmith fan, but I do think they are a quality piece of equipment. I have a friend who has one, and I think they excell as a lathe and are useful for horizontal boring. If space is the deciding factor, you can do what you need to on a shopsmith, but If you can squeeze in individual machines, that would be my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS