The SPALT Eagle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
So I made the brilliant choice of using spalted wood for a carving. Even nice, sharp Japanese and German steel couldn't help me in some of the softer spots. Tell me what you think...where to now?

IMG_05982.JPG

IMG_05994.JPG

This one shows how ragged the softer wood got

IMG_06093.JPG

A view with 'study' material (not my drawing)

IMG_0611.JPG

Oh, no...the cat's hungry! He got so out of control he actually gnawed on some wood chips!

IMG_05946.JPG

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Very nice! Spalted wood can be a pain, especially the really punky stuff, but you got some good detail in thre cleanly. What kind of finish are you going to use? Or are you going to paint?

cskipper

Cathy
I think you did well, especially considering the difficulties you can run into with spalted wood.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Dino,

That looks great! BTW, good luck with your move and thanks for all of the time you spent with us on the site and your generous offers of materials.

bobby g

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Thanks for the compliments everyone. NCWW is one of the finest groups of human beings I've ever had the honor to meet and share time with.

I don't know what kind of finish I'll use. That will be a tough choice, despite the wood's weaknesses, I always like seeing the wood through the finish. I'm thinking the Bald Eagle colors in a thinned paint or stain but we'll see how that works out. My wife gets this piece and as she's a bit of an artist herself, I'll probably let her do the paint work.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I like it Dean! I tried my hand at carving for the first time tonight. There won't be pictures :).
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS