The Schwarz Strikes Back, or Handplane Basics DVD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Yes, I have a problem. Its called IVS. Instructional Video Syndrome.

I recently (monday) acquired Christopher Schwarz's latest DVD "Handplane Basics: A better way to use Bench Planes" from Lost Art Press.

Well, as the title might imply, the dvd is all about bench planes!

For someone new to this class of planes, you can't do much better. For those with experience, most of the material is not new, but it is very solid. It is very methodical and well organized.

He doesn't try to promote "I have discovered this heretofore magical technique that will change the face of your boards for all eternity".

Holding this up against what I consider the finest Bench Plane DVD (Jim Kingshott), I think Mr. Schwarz has done a wonderful job.

Where The Schwarz video shines is in process. After the expected part on sharpening, setup, selection and types, he goes through face, edge and parallel planing.

Here is where I found he surpassed the Kingshott video.

So, if you are into this sort of thing, this video is an outstanding addition to ones library.

He has promsed an advanced planing video. So, when that day arrives, as the great one once said..."I'll be back"!

Jim

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
May the shwartz be with you!:rotflm: That is a good disk. none of the planes have cords though :dontknow: :gar-La;

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks Jim, I need all the help I can get with handplane usage and this seems an excellent way to gain the knowledge. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS