Thanks to Scott Smith...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks to Scott Smith, my new jointer is home safe and in the shop, something I couldn't have done by myself nor with such class.
Thanks to Scott Smith I now understand what is going on inside my shop's sub-panel, and feel confident working on it.
Thanks to Scott Smith I am now working on re-wiring a good portion of my shop, and hopefully will be less likely to have my house burn down due to an electrical problem (he knows about this well).

Thanks to Scott Smith I have been given good advice and only needed 3 trips to the BORG today to get all the stuff to run new 220A circuits, add a new plug/pigtail lead off my jointer to get to the new 220a receptacle.

Thanks to Scott Smith I am now confused. He very correctly identified my panel as a Culter Hammer box, and recommended that I get the new breakers that should fit.
Well there is where my problem/confusion comes in. I bought new CH breakers but they don't fit in the panel. Here is some pics of what I have going on in hopes to get further advice on what to do -

New CH breaker on the left and original on the right -

New_Jointer_012.jpg

Poor pic showing how the spring clips won't match up to the main power strip -

New_Jointer_013.jpg

My panel in a state of re-working, if it helps with the breaker ID -

New_Jointer_015.jpg

Any advice on the breaker replacement issue would be highly appreciated. Comments on the other problems in the panel are already known, and are in the process of being fixed ;)

TIA for any help that can be provided.
Dave:)-

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks to Scott Smith I am now confused.

Dave:)-

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

Man, you're killing me!

Dave, CH makes several different styles of load centers. The one that you have is a style that they produced many, many years ago. You will probably need to stop by an electrical supply house that stocks CH breakers.

I would recommend that you contact City Electric Supply; they are a Cuttler Hammer dealer. They have several locations around the Triangle; the phone number for their Cary store is 919-468-1380. Take one of your existing breakers with you; they can look at it and know the style that you need.

Thanks for the kind words, and good luck with your project!

Scott

dstrbd488

New User
Chris
Dave,
If I am not mistaken cutler hammer makes 2 styles of breakers. 1 of them is cheaper than the other and that appears to be the ones that you have purchased. You should be able to go back to where ever you bought those and exchange them for the correct ones. The only reason that I know this is because I bought the breakers that I thought went in my panel to wire my garage and when the electrician got there he sent me back to exchange them for the others. Hope this helps.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I dont know the tech terms but they are different. most new homes I work in use the colored ones on the right. mine are the all black ones. these wont interchange in the same panel. the colored ones cost more but are supposed to be better.:dontknow: they have letter codes but I'm not sure what the letters mean. I may have several of the colored breakers you need [I'll look tomorrow] and if I do you are welcome to all of them because they wont work for me. I dont recall throwing them away but that doesnt mean I didnt!:gar-La; they are new and unused so should work. I'll send ya a PM if I find them.:icon_thum I had some 15's and 20's and some 240 volt 20's and 30s. may have larger but I gotta look.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Fred, Dave needs some 240V 20's, and some 120V 20's. AS I recall, two of the former and five of the latter.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
well...... I got inspired to go look and apperently I sent em to the great electric supply house in the sky.[dump] I dont remember it but they be gone box and all so sorry.:crossedlips: shoulda kept me mouth shut!:rotflm: I knew I couldnt use them so.... prolly get tired of moving them around the shop.:gar-Cr

Glennbear

Glenn
Your pictures of the C-H load center with tan handled breakers bears a strong resemblance to my C-H load center. I was able to obtain the double pole breaker I used to add the circuit for my shop at Home Depot. As I recall they had a couple of different style C-H breakers. I do not think based upon the pictures your load center is all that ancient, mine was installed about 3 years ago. :wsmile:

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I always take an original breaker with me when I am doing any rewiring/upgrading. After you look at several different styles they all look the same. I would also recommend going to an electrical supply house and buying from them. Chances are you'll get a cheaper price than at the BORG.

NOTE: Make sure you remove any rings and/or watches before you go into the panel. YES even if you are "sure" that it's dead. Wouldn't want to weld a ring to yourself. Lastly make sure you keep one hand behind your back at all times (I stick my left hand in my back pocket). One hand means current up the arm and down the leg, painful but not necessarily dead. Two hands means current across the chest, dead almost every time.

I'm sure Scott mentioned my note above, but it bears repeating. I've been popped by 120V more times than I can count. It hurts. I've been stomped by 220V a couple times and it hurts like HE!! I'm pretty sure the only reason that I'm alive is because of the one-hand rule. Take your time and be careful, even and especially in "dead" panels.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well armed with the knowledge that there are several styles of CH breakers, and the original one in hand, I headed back to the BORG and got the right ones. They were the "premium" breakers, which is ironic as everything else in this house has been the low end stuff from Lowe's.
Breaker is in, I'm alive, I feel much more knowledgeable about how this service panel works, and best of all......

IT'S ALIVE, the jointer is purring and cutting Walnut like butter.

Thanks for all the advice, with friends like y'all I feel like I could tackle anything. 'Cause all I got to do is ask about something I don't know and I get educated very quickly.

Dave:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dave, glad to hear that everything is running well, and that you "went the extra mile" with respect to your wiring!

Matt, that's some great advice your wrote above, and the "hand in the back pocket" is a tip that I'll file away for future reference.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors