tenon dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.

unimog

New User
CHO
This may sound like a silly question.:dontknow:
Is there any rules to dimension a tenon? For example with a 2x4 how much material would you remove?
Thank you,
CHO

gator

George
Corporate Member
There are always exceptions and special cases, but, the general rule-of-thumb is 1/3 of the material thickness. Some of the exceptions are for really thick material, you use a double tenon side by side (say for a 2" thick workpiece you could use 3/8" tenons with 1/2" between and 3/8" on each outside).

George

cpowell

New User
Chuck
This may sound like a silly question.:dontknow:
Is there any rules to dimension a tenon? For example with a 2x4 how much material would you remove?
Thank you,
CHO

It's not a silly question at all. You can find rule of thumbs for M&T dimensions by Google (I don't remember all of them off the top of my head. Here's a link to one source http://www.geoffswoodwork.co.uk/mortise01.htm

In your case if you're talking about BORG 2x4s (1.5 x 3.5 inch stock) I'd use a tenon 3/8 thick, 2 1/2 wide, 2 1/2 long...doesn't match the rule of thumb but 3/8 is plenty thick for 1.5 inch thick stock.

There are other factors that depend on the joint location and what type of forces would the joint need to withstand.

Chuck

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Ahhh... A subject of some debate...

BUT, the general rules are that tennon thickness should be 1/3 to 1/2 of the stock thickness. There are some things you'll have to consider though - Like how big the porportions of the mortise will be. You don't want to leave your mortises with walls that are so thin that they create a weak link.

Tennon width is usually limited to about 4". You don't really want to go bigger than that, because of expansion/contraction issues - Again, there are exceptions, but these are the general rules.

Tennon length can vary quite a bit. In the 2x4 scenario, If I were makeing a door or a frame, I'd make the tennons 2" long, or more. The longer the better. If I need even more strength, I'll cut a through mortise, and wedge into the ends of the tennon (3 1/2"long tennon), locking everything together.

Hope this helps!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thickness of 1/3 to 1/2 is a good rule, with 1/3 the norm. However, on width, the location of the mortise is a factor. If the mortise is toward the end of a board, you want at least the board thickness from the end for the mortise on hardwood, and more (up to twice) for soft wood like pine. This may call for a "haunched" tenon, depending on how you are using it.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors