Tendon making

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Could you please share your method of making tendons? I've seen tendon making jigs in some woodworking catalogs and I'm wondering if I'm missing something or should invest in one of these jigs? I was taught to just use the table saw with a zero clearance throat plate, by using the side of the blade like a rotating chisel, without any jig.

Thanks

Monty

New User
Monty
There are actually several choices here. This really depends on the size of the pieces you're working with, and the tools you have available to choose from. Using a method like you describe is certainly one way to do it, but I would probably take multiple passes and use the sideways movement only to clean up the resulting surface. I wouldn't feel like I had very much control if I were trying to cut away the whole cheek of a tenon that way.

If you have a tenoning jig or an auxilliary vertical face for your TS fence, you could use that. I have a tenoning jig, and I use it for smaller projects. I don't feel comfortable holding a long piece up in the air, though. So for larger projects I cut the shoulders of of the tenons on the table saw, and then go to the band saw to cut the cheeks.

So I think it really depends on the size of your project, your available tools, and what techniques you're comfortable with. I would suggest using all of these techniques, since I think they all have their appropriate applications. Plus it's fun to try different things. :)

clowman

Clay Lowman
I use the TS, and zero clearance. We had a pretty good discussion on using a Jig a few weeks ago. I'm still trying to find that thread to post for you. I think that what most people said, that they were nice to have if you had a production type method, otherwise, they didn't use them that much. I'm still trying to find that link for you...

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Before you spend time and money on jigs etc, look into floating tenons. Basically, just a block of wood glued into 2 mortises.

J

jeff...

bladeburner said:
Before you spend time and money on jigs etc, look into floating tenons. Basically, just a block of wood glued into 2 mortises.

Depending upon the piece, this makes great sense and have used it a few times before,
especially when repairing antiques. When I can't just make a new piece and have it match the old.

Thanks much for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS