Tell me about your Jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I am going to be looking for a 6" or 8" (probably 6") jointer in the next few weeks. For those of you who have a jointer of this size, please tell me what you have and what you like and dislike about it. The larger jointers are not an option because of space and cost. I'd also like to know if you guys know of any used jointers that may be available.

Thanks for the help!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I currently have a Delta DJ-20 with a mobile base. The unit stays pretty much still. It is a parralellogram with the handles for height adjustment. The fence support is center mounted which I consider a requirement not just a plus, but even though it is cast iron, there is a bit of deflection with heavy boards. Getting the fence square to the top at times can be difficult. Let's see, what else. 1.5 HP motor can be wired 110 or 220. Push switch, not magnetic, and it doesn't include the dust collection fitting which is a rip off if you buy it from Delta. Better to go to Woodcraft or Klingspor and buy a plastic bolt on for $20 less.

Overall, I am happy with it. I had a 6, and for anyone that is active in the hobby/trade, I would recommend getting a 8" as the difference is substantial for using it in flattening boards.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks guys.

David, I saw the Griz. They have a good deal on the 8" also. Unfortunately my shop is also my garage, so I have space issues to deal with. I have been building a couple built in library / entertainment units and this is quickly becoming a necessary purchase.

I've already told LOML that the next house MUST have a shop!!! That is not negotiable!

Nativespec

New User
David
The problem I have with the 8" is that it cannot face plane boards wider than 8"-so I might as well buy a small 6" until I can afford a 12". The link to the Grizzly is for a new jointer/planer with the carbide bits, but I too, have a garage and it flooded last summer, so all of my current puchases have to have motors and electrical at my about 24" or above.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That 2" is a substantial difference and a major upgrade from a 6" unit. I moved from a 6" to an 8" and it was a HUGE difference at least for me.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ed,
Don't forget to take a look at the 6" Yorkcraft. No, I don't own one :crybaby2:But I think it merits attention. Excellent reputation, great price, and space saving design on fence.

Roger

Toddler

New User
Todd
JET 6" Jointer

You'll pay tax but no shipping since you can pick it up at the store. I think it's the best deal around. Especially if you buy it during the one day 10% off sale next Saturday.

Hard to beat a BRAND NEW Jet 6" jointer for $360+ tax!!!

Todd

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've got the Ridgid 6" jointer, great price, good machine. I wish I had a bigger jointer. I am tired of ripping boards in half to joint them and them gluing them back together. I think that the space taken up by an 8" vs. a 6" is very minimal, and a jointer is one of the most important pieces of shop machinery to have, if you like square and straight wood.
There is a great Delta 8" offered in the Buy and Sell right now, wish I had got more B-day money :crybaby2:
Dave:)

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I also have an Griz 8" jointer (G0490) and it's a sweetheart of a machine. Set up was almost a breeze (weight was the major pblm) and once set up it was spot on.

I was all set to get a 6" Rigid at the Asheville HD but they were out of stock except for the floor model. The dept manager was a jerk. When I asked him for something off if I took the dinged up floor model his answer was that he wouldn't charge me for assembly. That was the push I needed to just go ahead and order the Griz...I haven't look back since.

The GO490 has built in casters and is real easy to move around my shop.

Dan C.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I have a rigid that I will sell you just like DaveO's with a mobile base for 250.00 Let me know if your intersted. Be blessed friend.

KurtG

New User
Kurt
A couple of the posts have mentioned parallelogram. What is the difference between a jointer that has parallelogram beds vs. one that doesn't?

Nativespec

New User
David
The old dovetail style slides up and down a dovetail when adjusted. The paralleagram pivots at two points when adjusted.

Toddler

New User
Todd
The beds on the parallelogram have eccentric or oblong supports at the cutter end and the far end. To raise and lower the in/out beds, you turn the supports and in theory it should keep everything flat and parallel. To adjust it to be flat and parallel, you can move the supports instead of trying to shim the dovetail on the more traditional style.

They seem to be catching on fast. I was space pressed and didn't want to spend a lot since I'll have tons of space in a couple of years, so I bought a 30y/o craftsman. Funny thing is, it's a parallelogram design. Just a very short one.

Todd

bdjessup

New User
Brian Jessup
Ed, I have an old but working Craftsman jointer with stand. It has a 5 1/4" X 24" table. Have extra blades for it. If you come and get it in Concord you can have it. Brian - 704-293-5520

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
My Hawk JointAbility arrived today. Ask me in a week or so what I think of it. I never have liked jointers and hoping this will work. I use a belt sander to flatten stock enough for the planner.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Ed, I have an old but working Craftsman jointer with stand. It has a 5 1/4" X 24" table. Have extra blades for it. If you come and get it in Concord you can have it. Brian - 704-293-5520

OK, that's a better deal than the Jet :)

nelsone

New User
Ed

PM Sent. Thanks! This should get me through the project I have upcoming and the price can't be beat!:rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors