Television stand ... WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
This weekend I began building a TV stand for a buddy of mine. In the end he's going to paint it black, so I'm using a variety of 'scrap' wood to make it (mainly Elm and Red Oak).

It's built with mortise & tenon joints (made ever-so cleanly with the MultiRouter :icon_bigg). It's a simple project, but a good practice run though the basics.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jeremy,

That is a very interesting design for a tv stand. Is there going to be a "shelving unit" on top? Please divulge!

It really brings me great pain to know that it will be painted. The LOML and I were just given an 80 year old upright shelving unit with three cabinets underneath (wasn't sure what it is actually called). Anywho, we spent probably twenty hours or so stripping and sanding off 5 layers of LEAD paint, only to find that it wasn't made of anything special. So we stained (ebony) it and finished. Looks much better than PINK. :icon_thum

Please share some details, I've got to help a friend of mine build an entertainment center in a few weeks and I've been brainstorming a lot about it.

Thanks,

Trent

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
It is a bit short because the television he had (which happens to be the same I have) comes with build in speakers below it. The company used to sell a matching stand, but no longer can it be found. So this little stand (uh, table) is just going to get the 46" tv off the floor and make room for the components (cable box, video game system, receiver).

DaveO

New User
DaveO
This weekend I began building a TV stand for a buddy of mine.
It's built with mortise & tenon joints

So you do make things with all those tools:haireyes::5emoticon:happy8:

Looking good, it's a shame about the painting...but we've all been there:bduh:

Dave:icon_cool

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Nice, very nice! How much time do you have invested in it? I would venture to guess you are faster with the new tools than what you had previously. Would you say that is a fair statement?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
:rogarHead na na na na na na na na na na na ... yeah, occasionally I make something with the tool collection ... :pain10:

I've got about $30 into the project thus far ($20 MDF tops, $10 lumber) -- can get away with this because of the fact it will be painted -- so most are scraps of some sort or another.

As for time ... I'd guess about 7 hours -- but two of that was "practice" with the MultiRouter as this was the first real project where I used a try mortise/tenon (I've made loose tenons previously).

To answer your question ... yes, things move MUCH quicker with the new tools -- once the learning curve is over!

sapwood

New User
Roger
I like it!
Appears extremely sturdy and the angled legs/feet are a nice design feature :eusa_clap

Roger

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
and the angled legs/feet are a nice design feature :eusa_clap
Angled? I missed that. But, that's because Jeremy's pictures are always sooooo distracting - too many tools in the picture. Just look what's on those shelves!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Alright Jeremy, Where's the pic of the bandsaw???? I know you got one since I was in Woodcraft when the new blade was being purchased!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors