Teknatools Nova 3000 Wood Lathe NR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
dont know the exact value,, you could google the make/model to get a better idea or do an advanced ebay search to see what that model has sold for (completed listings only option). I can tell you right off that it's worth more than the $253 current price. Be slick about it and watch it right up until the last minute if you want to outbid people on it. Another thing you might do is contact the seller NOW and offer them a price before anyone bids.

Good luck

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I use an online product to "snipe" auctions at the last possible second ... auctionsniper.com

Works like a charm!

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Suspect that lathe may be older than 3 years old. They stopped making and selling those lathes, when Teknatool brought out NOVA DVR lathe, and that has been replaced by DVR-XP.

If your a Mr. Fix-it, might not be bad lathe if can lock on spare parts. They had some problems with Lesson motor, belt slipping, shafts cracking.
Weak tail stock was another complaint. Would go to Teknatool site for repair facility here in the states.

Not sure if new China made version NOVA 3000 parts are the same. Might check with folks at Woodcraft.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
That is the lathe I have turned on daily for more than three years. Never had any belt slipping problems, cracked shafts, tailstock or motor problems. I know several of my turning buddies around the country who also have not had problems. That is not to say that some problems may or may not exist. My personal experience is that I have not had any. I have turned more than a 1000 pens, countless boxes, bowls and platters up to 15 inches on mine without a single problem. I recently turned a 14 inch diameter by 6 inch deep cherry bowl on my lathe. Spare parts are available through T.V. Geist Enterprises. Nova Teknatool has reintroduced this lathe in a newer improved model which they now call the 1624-44 which is essentially the same machine as the Nova 3000. New the 1624 sells for slightly under a $1000.

I have no idea how to price the 3000 used.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Telling someone doesn' hurt to be Mr. Fix it, not made in jest or knocking the NOVA 3000.

On the old news group forums, anyone asking which lathe to buy would be set upon by NOVA 3000 owners. They discussed problems, fixes, and modifications. Many turned this lathe into electronic variable speed lathe!

If you want the latest scoop on all flavors of Nova lathes, go to MSN.com and check out NOVAOWNERS thread.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Well, my experience is from personal daily use not based upon what a bunch of folks in a user's groups says. I have visited that site you referenced and most of those people didn't have a clue how to use a lathe in the first place and were responsible for the problems they were having. Lots of people like to bad mouth Nova lathes in favor of Jet, Delta, Powermatic, Oneway etc. I have never seen a lathe make a turner any better than the skills he had. If you turn crap on Delta you will turn crap on Robust, Oneway, Stubby, etc. If you abuse your lathe it will break particularly if you don't know what you are doing.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Big Mike, am not knocking the Nova 3000! This lathe does have a history which is both positive and negative. One of the many good things about the old NOVA 3000 was support from both Teknatool and Woodcraft. Well support may not be as good as once was. Still not bad, but just not as good.

Those people that experienced those snapping motor shafts, on their Nova 3000 all had positive comments for seller, and Teknatool. Wasn’t uncommon for folks to take the lathe back to Woodcraft, after owning the for more than a year and get their money back. Others got motor replaced and installation at no charge at all.

We are talking about a used lathe here. No warranty, strictly as is sale. You either fix any problems yourself or pay to have it fixed including shipping.

Knowing the history of this lathe, cost of driving round trip to pick it up, would not offer much more than current bid. Would definitely not go higher than $275-$300.

Nova lathe owners pretty loyal to their lathes, and helping each other have the best experience while turning. Guess you didn’t look at the “PICTURE,” thread..

How about the guy that replaced Nova 3000 lathe belt for only $8.50. So happy he bought two of them. Or knowing Woodcraft carries them for $12.99.

The old Nova 3000 and the new Nova 1624-44 requires some assembly before use. Whether you do it, store does it, or guy you bought it from does it, some assembly is required. Some tweaking after assembly also required. Also a maintenance schedule to follow.

Following Murphy’s law tells us there is room for human error. What does it matter if you read the manual, call someone, or go on line to find a fix?

The only other strong user groups am familiar with are Stubby & VicMarc. Can only hope there are others out there for Delta, Jet, Oneway, and Powermatic lathe owners.

http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Thanks Bike Mike and Wildwood for the discussion on the lathe. The links have been very informative in my research. I have been talking to the owner (email) to get a little more info on the lathe. No problems in the 3 or so years he has used it except a broke belt due to his error. It has the original motor. He has upgraded to a Powermatic 3520.

I have not bid on it yet and don't know if I will. As you said Wildwood I would not give him much more than the current bid considering the pick up expense and the risk of buying off ebay. I have until late on the 23rd. No one has bid on it yet other than the opening bid from what I see and there is no reserve. Heck I don't even know if I want a lathe yet.:eusa_thin I pick up the GW lathe Saturday and take a pen turning class on Sunday so that should tell me something. But I do have room for one or two more pieces if equipment in the shop.:lol:

Again thanks for the info and the links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS