Tea box project

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
A few years ago I made some boxes to hold an assortment of packaged teas at the request of my wife. I made another run of 4 boxes this year and thought I’d post one. They’re made with cherry with maple raised panels in the tops. The partitions are all removable. They fit inside the box with mitered corners and slots to fit the dividers. The dividers also provide a lip to give the box lid a snug fit. The hinges are inexpensive piano style stop hinges. I have used a Brusso stop hinges in the past, but they are ‘way too expensive for a simple tea box.
IMG_0476.jpeg

Box top and bottom are floating panels. The top is raised pillow panel.

IMG_0468.jpeg

Partitions are made of bass wood I get from hobby shops. It comes in 3/32, 1/8, and 3/16 inch thick planks. A Freud thin-kerf rip blade cuts a nice 3/32 flat bottom dado for the slide-in partitions. The center spine is 3/16”, the perimeter panels are 1/8”. And the dividers are 3/32”.

IMG_0470.jpeg
IMG_0471.jpeg
IMG_0467.jpeg

Last edited:

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
What make the lid a pillow panel? I'm not familiar with it but I like how it comes to the center.

Where did you get the small piano hinge? Seems some hinges are junk and some cost too much for my basic projects.

Really looks nice.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Well Charlie, you've done it again: another beautiful piece! And thank you for sharing the details. Question: Are the corners just simple miters, or are there splines in them. I can't quite tell from the pictures above.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
What make the lid a pillow panel? I'm not familiar with it but I like how it comes to the center.

Where did you get the small piano hinge? Seems some hinges are junk and some cost too much for my basic projects.

Really looks nice.
Pillow panels have rounded over tops as opposed to panels with sharp edges.
Lee Valley was source of hinges. They come in various lengths but you have to buy screws separately. They work well, but the screws are very tiny and hard to work with.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I love boxes. This is inspiring and wonderful work, great details in how-to, and a lovely result.
You have showm one. Are the other similar?

Henry

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you @Charlie Buchanan that is inspirational.

I simply assumed you veneered the insert, but a Birdseye raised panel... now I am dually impressed!

Also, on the hinge... I agree it would be nice to have Brusso, but I think this looks elegant enough for this box. (Guessing you rounded the corners? or did you find one that way?)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors