tapering jig for hollowing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Has anyone ever tried making one? I am looking into turning some woodwinds. With a few exceptions, the bores are not perfect cylinders, they are slightly conical. Guys that turn them for a living have reamers; lots of reamers, because different instruments and even different parts of some single instruments have different tapers. It seems to me that after step drilling the bore (which you do even if you have the reamers), you could slip in a small HF tool and vary the angle slightly to match the taper. I think the jig would either have an integral steady rest or snug right up to one to be effective.

I bought a Sorby swan neck attachment for the micro modular system as my cutter and I have an extension I can mount it in. So this isn't totally blue sky.

As an aside, some hobbyist builders just leave the bore stepped and swear you can't hear the difference, so knocking down the "corners" from step drilling and feathering them out is another possibility.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
What you need is a Jamieson style hollowing rig, or a steel snake style rig. I believe that Monster tools offers one for a mini lathe, but Google Capt. Eddie woodturner and he has instructions for a homemade on his site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS