Tac cloth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I recall, vaguely, having once read about making tac cloths.
IIRC, clean cloth was saturated and allowed to air-dry. They were soaked in either mineral spirits or linseed oli perhaps, I'm not certain.
Has anyone tried making cloths?
Would not rags so treated be a significant fire hazard over time?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Tom,

I had a formula long , but CRS keeps me from recalling it. It was a little varnish thinned alot by mineral spirits. You dampened the rag with it a squeezed out any excess, the varnish caused it to be tacky. I stored mine in a ziplock bag, no air, no chance of combustion.

Jimmy:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm no finishing expert like most of these guys, but I'd think you'd want to be careful and not use a WET tac cloth for any finish. Be sure it's only slightly damp. Too many woods will show a water stain. I've seen $600 mahogany doors ruined this way. BTW, is that the reason you use cheesecloth instead of old underwear? Of course, some of mine LOOK like cheesecloth when I throw them out! :lol:

sawman

New User
Albert
I have been using the micro fiber cloths which when dirty can be washed and reused. No problems with any of my finsihes.

Later,

Albert:eusa_snoo

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I have been using the micro fiber cloths which when dirty can be washed and reused. No problems with any of my finsihes.

Later,

Albert:eusa_snoo

Having sold microfiber cloths in a former life I can tell you that not all are equal. To find a true, quality cloth, pass the palm of your hand lightly across the cloth. If you feel fibers grabbing or dragging against your palm and fingers, you have a good one. If you feel little drag, or none, don't get it. Also, DO NOT use bleach or fabric softener when you wash them. Bleach destroys the fibers, and softener will make them repel, rather than absorb. I too have tried them for tack cloth work. In fact, I tried using a tack cloth after ragging with microfiber and it came off clean. Good tip Albert!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors