Table Saw Woes Finally Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
It almost didn't happen today. I went to pick up the saw at the freight depot instead of having it delivered. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to move it off of the truck and I didn't want to pay 235 bucks for a lift gate. When I was pulling up to get the saw at the dock, I saw a box fall off of a fork-lift. Yep, it was my box and it was damaged. :kamahlitu

The main box was torn up too - some of the wood slats had been broken. I was disgusted but I couldn't see any damage and I thought there was a good chance everything was OK. I called Grizzly and I documented the damage and took care of the paperwork. :kamahlitu

I opened everything up and didn't find any damage except for a completely crushed plastic push stick. I just got the beast into the shop - a challenge with my bad back and my little wife. But, we got it in there with few problems and nothing broken.

Pictures coming soon - I am too tired to get up right now...

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Michael,

I'm glad you finally got your saw! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc Although if I saw someone drop my TS from a forklift I'd probably go insane. :kamahlitu Have you tested it out to make sure everything works as it should?

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
glad you got all that done. Next time let me know I will help . I am only 5 minutes away.

Dragon

New User
David
Man I know you've been through a lot with this saw and were anxious to get it home but if I saw "MY" new saw fall off a forklift, that would have been the end. I'd have taken that as an omen that it just wasn't supposed to "be" right then and initiated the refund-in-full process. Best of luck and I sincerely hope that everything is A-okay with it.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
It almost didn't happen today. I went to pick up the saw at the freight depot instead of having it delivered. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to move it off of the truck and I didn't want to pay 235 bucks for a lift gate. When I was pulling up to get the saw at the dock, I saw a box fall off of a fork-lift. Yep, it was my box and it was damaged. :kamahlitu

The main box was torn up too - some of the wood slats had been broken. I was disgusted but I couldn't see any damage and I thought there was a good chance everything was OK. I called Grizzly and I documented the damage and took care of the paperwork. :kamahlitu

I opened everything up and didn't find any damage except for a completely crushed plastic push stick. I just got the beast into the shop - a challenge with my bad back and my little wife. But, we got it in there with few problems and nothing broken.

Pictures coming soon - I am too tired to get up right now...

I took delivery of my Grizzly saw 2-weeks ago with a similar situation. The freight company (UPS/Overnight) told me that they were sending a truck with a pallet jack and a ramp. When the driver showed looking confused at my lack of loading dock (i.e. my house) I realized that we had a problem. He had no ramp and he said that his pallet jack got stolen that morning. Anyway, the similar part is that the pallet was crushed and my saw (G1023Z) was sitting on another pallet and the saw was already out of the box. I backed my pickup to the 18-wheeler and we got the saw off the trailer into my truck. I didn't even see a scratch on my machine so I guess whatever happened was a non-issue but my motor cover was missing. I have since setup the saw (no issues) and notified Grizzly of the missing motor cover which they replaced, no questions asked within 3-days.

Seems like mine is OK, good luck with yours!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Freight companies used to sell goods damaged like that. It may be worth the effort to repair it if the price were right & someone had the skills. :widea:
Of course it would have an Oklahoma Guarantee: If it broke in two both halves would be yours.......:cry_smile

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
This has been the tablesaw ordeal of the century.... Geez!!!! I don't see how it could get much worse....

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Wow! So glad to hear it's amost ready to go. Of course, I think the thread is missing something... Oh yeah! WHERE ARE THE PICTURES????

Trav

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Everything is OK with the saw except for a chip on the extension board and a chip on the fence. Grizzly is sending me new ones. So, it all worked out. I have put it together and I plan on adjusting it tomorrow.

Sorry for the crummy photo - I used my IPhone...

garybushey

New User
Gary
I had almost the same issue with my saw. Paid for lift-gate service (really had no choice in the matter) and yet it shows up in a regular 18-wheeler with only one person (the driver) who was scrawnier than me (and that is saying a lot!). Needless to say he dropped it while unloading it. I Checked everything and it looked OK so I accepted it. I did contact the dealer and informed them of the situation and they prompty refunded the price of the lift gate service.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Everything is OK with the saw except for a chip on the extension board and a chip on the fence. Grizzly is sending me new ones. So, it all worked out. I have put it together and I plan on adjusting it tomorrow.

Sorry for the crummy photo - I used my IPhone...

And it hurts my IBalls... :rotflm:

Just kidding; couldn't resist. Anyway, nice score! I hope they let you keep the extra chipped fence; could make a nice jig or two with it.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
+1. There are several of us in the area who would lend a hand if needed. :icon_thum

Thanks, folks. I didn't think it was going to be too big of an ordeal until I realized the it weighed more than my wife and that she couldn't even keep it on the dolly... A band saw is next but I don't think those are as heavy?

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
And it hurts my IBalls... :rotflm:

Just kidding; couldn't resist. Anyway, nice score! I hope they let you keep the extra chipped fence; could make a nice jig or two with it.

That is funny! :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

I will break out the 50D tomorrow and make some better pics.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks, folks. I didn't think it was going to be too big of an ordeal until I realized the it weighed more than my wife and that she couldn't even keep it on the dolly... A band saw is next but I don't think those are as heavy?
Depends. Grizzly has the G0690 at 542lbs. The G0513X2 17" bandsaw is 418lbs. Lighter, yes, but still heavy. The G0555 14" saw is "only" 210lbs, just light enough you're tempted to lift it yourself onto the stand. And then enjoy that feeling of independence and self-sufficiency for the next 4-6 weeks or so...DAMHIKT. :rolf:

Congrats on the saw BTW :tool:

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
A band saw is next but I don't think those are as heavy?
Depends. :wink_smil
A bit more than I ever want to handle. Although I would love to have a workshop that would handle something like this. Probably need your own substation to run it.
Mystic_ShipSaw.JPG

View image in gallery

Bandsaw table stays horizontal and bandsaw rotates on circular trunnion for cutting large ship timbers. Took two men to work it. One to drive/steer the beam and one to adjust the angle.

ehpoole

Ethan
A band saw is next but I don't think those are as heavy?

My Steel City hybrid table saw weighs around 400lbs fully assembled, but you can remove the cast iron table top, extension wings and rails to reduce that weight considerably.

My 18" Rikon bandsaw weighs 400lbs fully assembled, with only the single cast iron top being readily removable -- unless of course you wish to pull the cast iron wheels. The bandsaw is also a very top-heavy piece of equipment -- easily tipped towards the front side. I built a modified mobile base (using two laminated 3/4" plywood sheets for extra stiffness, and added another 6" beyond the front edge of the bandsaw base for extra stability) for my bandsaw just to increase its forward stability (the 18" models are really intended to be bolted to a floor).

I remember being much more concerned about toppling my bandsaw when moving it onto its mobile base ... never much worried about my table saw tipping over!

For some reason 400lbs has been a magic number in my shop: table saw, bandsaw, and jointer all weigh in the vicinity of 400lbs fully assembled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS