Table saw question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyB

New User
Tracy
Hi everyone,
I have a question about my table saw. Its a Craftsman cabinet saw with 30" Biesemeyer fence. (saw is built by Delta). Its fairly new.(2005).
I noticed when the saw is slowing down, after the brake comes on, the blade has some wobble in it. I thought it was the blade, (cheap blade that came with saw), so I put the Freud blade from my chop saw on it. It still does the same thing. I checked to see if the blade is parallel to the miter slot and it seems to be. My question is: Is this normal for a blades to wobble when they are slowing down, or is there something wrong with my saw. It does seem to have a little vibration in it when it is running full speed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys,

TracyB

Bryan S

Bryan
Tracy the first thing (and simpelst) you want to check for is any debris on the arbor flange or a bur that may be keeping the blade from seating true against the arbor flange. If that is the case then a cleaning with a stiff brush or a coulpe of light passes with a file to remove a bur coukd take care of your problem.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I think it's an optical illusion. Mine does the very same thing, but specs out with a dial indicator. Plus it cuts well.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You may want to check your belt for proper tension, and the set screws securing the pulleys on the motor and arbor. If the pulleys are loose, also check the alignment when you tighten them.

Go

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I believe that I may have the same saw Tracy (22124).:wsmile:

I checked the runout on the arbor flange this past August and it measured about .0001". I then mounted the OEM original Leitz blade, and it was about .0006". I was told by these folks that it wasn't anything to be concerned about.

If you have a dial indicator and the magnetic base (HF have them for cheap), I would check your runout at the arbor (after a good cleaning).

Wayne

TracyB

New User
Tracy
Yep Wanye, that is the saw I have. Do you experience the same trouble? IF so, have you done anything to correct it? Are you happy with your saw? This is the only one I have ever used, so I have nothing to compare it with.

Thanks,
TracyB

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Yep Wanye, that is the saw I have. Do you experience the same trouble? IF so, have you done anything to correct it? Are you happy with your saw? This is the only one I have ever used, so I have nothing to compare it with.

Thanks,
TracyB

Tracy,

I can say that I have really never noticed blade wobble. While I was setting up the fence and blade to mitre slot alignment, I just decided to look at blade and arbor runout as well. Like Joe Scharle mentioned in an earlier post, it may just be an optical illusion. (Joe has a 22124 as well.) I do suggest you check it with a dial indicator though.

I think that it is a great saw! The only upgrades I have done was to replace the Leitz blade with a Woodworker II thin kerf and added a RT extension on the right, replacing the Beisemeyer melamine extension. Also use the Incra 1000 mitre gauge as well.

As far as the vibration is concerned. My saw runs pretty smooth.

Are you getting good, clean cuts with the Freud blade?

Wayne

TracyB

New User
Tracy
Thanks for your input Wayne. The wobble is not an illusion. I made a zero clearance insert for it and when its slowing down you can really see the wobble and you can hear it clicking the insert. I can't tell if its wobbling at full speed or not. IT does cut pretty well, even with the OEM blade. I will check it with an indicator when I get a chance. I guess it could be belt or pulley vibration. I will check that out when I'm able. I can't get under there just yet, due to my surgery. Do you like you Incra miter gauge? I think I'm getting an Osborne for Christmas. What do you think about those?
I was thinking about also getting one of those Freud Fusion blades. How do you think they compare to Forrest?

Thanks for your help,

TracyB

T

toolferone

If the blade is wobbling while cutting then your saw kerf would measure out larger then the blade kerf. Make a partial cut in the wood and measure the cut width.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Do you like you Incra miter gauge? I think I'm getting an Osborne for Christmas. What do you think about those?
I was thinking about also getting one of those Freud Fusion blades. How do you think they compare to Forrest?

Thanks for your help,

TracyB

Tracy,

I find that the Incra is a pretty versatile mitre gauge and pretty darned accurate when set up. (I did add a sacrificial fence (from Woodpecker) that has an anti-slip surface and that really helps to maintain position of the piece against the aluminum fence.)

I have had no experience using the Osborne, but there are several members who use it here. See this thread....

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f31/tablesaw-miter-guage-your-reccomendations-13773/

As far as the Freud blade is concerned, I have heard nothing but good things about it, but no direct experiences. By the way, the Leitz blade that came with the saw is a great blade as well. Mine just needs sharpening. The Forrest thin kerf also has been a great blade in the saw.

(Hope you heal fast from your surgery!)

HTH

Wayne

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a much different table saw, a Ryobi BT3100, but it also widens the kerf in zero clearance inserts by the blade moving a little as it coasts down. I think it goes through a harmonic frequency and that causes a little side to side. If you actually tried cutting something at that frequency, it would be a problem but briefly passing through it as it coasts down and starts up doesn't seem to hurt anything other than zero clearance inserts.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS