Table build

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well here's a recent build with curly maple veneer and pine. I use the pine quite often for veneer substrate purposes. If you would like to see more on the building process go to the address below. Questions are welcomed.

Dan

Attachments

• table and chair.JPG
    table and chair.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Table joinery 2.JPG
    Table joinery 2.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Table joinery.JPG
    Table joinery.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 184
  • table with curly maple.JPG
    table with curly maple.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Table with curly unstained.JPG
    Table with curly unstained.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Dan in Augusta.jpg
    Dan in Augusta.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 194

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work, Dan (as usual)! Is the substrate for the table top pine as well? Do you do anything special as far as reversing grain orientation, using narrow boards, etc., when gluing up the substrate?

chrisouten

New User
ChrisO
Looks great. I also have the same question about the substrate but also wondering what kind of veneer backing you used and where you got it. Thanks!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I will try to explain my methods of construction in a small workshop in my yard. I used plywood for the table top. I don't use veneer on the bottom side of the top as it is held tightly by cross members to keep it flat.
Additionally, you can see its nice and flat. How was it glued? With a veneer hammer and hide glue. I put the first piece of veneer down then join the next piece right to it. No tape. The cross member that keeps it flat in picture 3 below. Walnut was cut at Scot's shop. That's Mark Johnson with me on a visit to Scot's mill. Dan drinkin' a cold one from Stumpy.

Hope this answers the questions. By the way this is the 4th table like this I have built. They aren't hard and I sell chairs with the tables.

Attachments

• Dan in Virginia.jpg
    Dan in Virginia.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 139
  • walnut crotch 16' wide.JPG
    walnut crotch 16' wide.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Mark Johnson and walnut log at Scot's.JPG
    Mark Johnson and walnut log at Scot's.JPG
    474.8 KB · Views: 140
  • veneer cutter 2.JPG
    veneer cutter 2.JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Table joinery 2.JPG
    Table joinery 2.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Trestle assembled.JPG
    Trestle assembled.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 137
  • veneering table with maple.JPG
    veneering table with maple.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing. I know nothing about do veneer so this is all very interesting. With the cost of hardwood nowadays, seems like it’s a great alternative.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing the build process as well as the beautiful work.
Great job!
No matter what state, there's always time for a beer...

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I am working on another chair today and will post photos as it takes shape. This is the first try with cut lumber. Picture 3 note the grain is quartered.

Attachments

• just a gallon at each fill.JPG
    just a gallon at each fill.JPG
    528.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 119221-8151c04418281d2e26b645ced4f89b82.jpg
    119221-8151c04418281d2e26b645ced4f89b82.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 103
  • oak cut in a quarter.JPG
    oak cut in a quarter.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 93

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Beautiful job on the curly maple bookmatch for the top. I like the black trestle base as well. First class design and execution throughout, Dan. Thanks for posting all of the photos.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Looks great. I also have the same question about the substrate but also wondering what kind of veneer backing you used and where you got it. Thanks!
Not sure what you're asking? veneer backing? I cut my own veneer or take it to Scot Smith for cutting. See photo 4 above - that's Scot's veneer cutter.

chrisouten

New User
ChrisO
Not sure what you're asking? veneer backing? I cut my own veneer or take it to Scot Smith for cutting. See photo 4 above - that's Scot's veneer cutter.
Sorry, I've not worked with veneer before and not super familiar with the terminology. I was referring to whether or not it was PSA, paper backing or I believe the other is called wood on wood? I'm assuming since you are cutting your own it's wood on wood. Again, great job, it looks beautiful.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Sorry, I've not worked with veneer before and not super familiar with the terminology. I was referring to whether or not it was PSA, paper backing or I believe the other is called wood on wood? I'm assuming since you are cutting your own it's wood on wood. Again, great job, it looks beautiful.
The only use for paper on the backside of the veneer is to use it with contact cement. I use hide glue to apply my veneer that I cut myself for projects. I cut veneer and I get help from Scot Smith cutting wide pieces. Take a look at this album to see the build.

Attachments

• cabinet veneer.JPG
    cabinet veneer.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 73
  • small cabinet.JPG
    small cabinet.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 76
  • small cabinet.JPG
    small cabinet.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 74

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan, I know you use a toothing plane to prepare the subsurface the veneer is glued to. Do you do anything to prepare the back side of the veneer, or is the surface left by Scott's band saw sufficient? I saw my own veneer and find that I need to use a scraper on the glue side of the veneer to remove a few ridges and such left by the saw. Not a lot, but just enough to make sure there is nothing to keep it from adhering in some area.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Dan, I know you use a toothing plane to prepare the subsurface the veneer is glued to. Do you do anything to prepare the back side of the veneer, or is the surface left by Scott's band saw sufficient? I saw my own veneer and find that I need to use a scraper on the glue side of the veneer to remove a few ridges and such left by the saw. Not a lot, but just enough to make sure there is nothing to keep it from adhering in some area.
When I cut thick veneer I will use the toothing plane to get rid of some troubled spots. Never on birdseye maple. The veneer I have from Scott's shop is in a league of its own. Just toothing the substrate is more than necessary for a good bond. The biggest misunderstanding on hammer work is making the glue too thick. You have to get acquainted with the best viscosity by experimenting a bit with different woods and different shop temperatures. I measure the thickness with my fingers. Its by feel really.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Table looks REALLY good, but Dan in Augusta and Dan in Virginia might be more fun!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors