Table apron size

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelis

New User
weelis
Is there any rule of thumb that addresses how wide a table apron should Be> I have a hallway table that is 12x46t
wide and will stand 29-30 inch high. Not for sitting. I know it is subjective, but what is a good width for a table this size/ thanx.

Touchwood

New User
Don
I'd say about 4", but if you're going to tenon it into the legs, keep the tenon size down to about 3". I'm assuming no drawer.

Claus

Claus
User
image.jpg

I always wonder if the picture "took"...

Anyway, I think these kinds of proportions should be something you develop from your own vision. Cut the legs and the aprons to rough size (i.e. aprons too wide) and lay it out upside down on the work bench, step back, squint, change your view angle, whatever, and see what you think. To wide? cut the aprons down a bit and repeat. You'll come up with something that looks good to you. I've even made cardboard pieces to try out a look - you gotta really squint for those :wsmile:

Obviously, you need to consider sufficient width for tenons and if you want drawers or what ever else, but this should give you a pretty good idea of the look of the finished product proportions.

-- Claus

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
this is why I like sketchup or just some graph paper -to draw things to scale. But I'm sure 4" would be just right.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I agree for the most part with the other folks. The hall table is 12" w x 46" l x 30" high. Correct?

I'll toss this idea out for discussion and critique from everyone.

A lower profile apron could be 2.5-3" without giving up structural integrity and it'll still use M&T joints for the most part with a few twists in the design. Is my idea taking a "kamikaze" dive?

The apron is 2.5" w with an offset tenon on the stretcher which connects to the aprons.

weelis.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS