Sweating the small stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
If you REALLY want to control tool spending, there is a simple rule. Don,t spend more than the income produced by the tools you buy. But who counts? the guy depending on the shop for a living!!

Jerry

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you REALLY want to control tool spending, there is a simple rule. Don,t spend more than the income produced by the tools you buy. But who counts? the guy depending on the shop for a living!!

Jerry
When you earn your living with your tools, this rule doesn't apply- You do have to eat. My FIL used to say that I was the only guy he knew who had a saw for both ends of the board. I reminded him how many steps I save per week, not having to walk to other end of board to get the saw. All my tools have more than paid for themselves. In 1996, wife and I went to American Woodworker Show in Ft Washington PA. School system paid for motel, rental car, meals for me, along with show admission. Son worked for airline, so round trip was only $12.00 each. While at show, I bought a Kregg Pocket Screw Jig for about $125. Care to guess how many times the cost was mentioned on a ninety minute flight back to RDU? Every time I use Kregg, I remind her of how much it cost, and how much I have earned. She has figured out that it takes QUALITY TOOLS to earn a living. Oh yeah, she bought me Bill Hylton's book "Router Magic" at the show. This is one of my most treasured and used books.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I don't use screws very often at all but sometimes a counterbored screw with a plug cap is the best approach. :)

BTW, you didn't mention a bevel or marking tools or respirator?
Chuck

I'm not a big fan of screws either, it looks ugly. Plain and simple. But, as you said, sometimes it's the best option. And if you're going to paint, a little filler hides a lot of screws.

I actually use quite a few screws in the shop jigs that I build. Sort of a meta-expense.

I don't have a respirator yet, right now just using the simple dust masks. I haven't found a respirator that is comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time. But I do plan to get serious about dust control in the next few months - upgrade the bags on the DC, air filter, etc. A good respirator is part of all that.

As for marking tools - it's on the list of things to get. This is one item I figured you do only have to buy once in a lifetime, so I want to get a nice one. It's all about priorities. So until then, I use a pencil, cut large and use a block plane :)

Bas.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've heard them referred to as "Dividers", but that's probably from machinists and engineers. Some have pencils, some only points. If the points go in or out they're "Calipers"? Put the same points on a single bar instead of attaching them as a "V" and you've got "Trammels".

No wonder there's so many tools, people have been working overtime making the names!
Blades in 28 sizes, kerfs and tooth count. Glue in 57 varieties. I guess six options for the "pointy thing" isn't too bad! I have one with one point and a clamp to hold a pencil. But, now that you mention it, I do need a pair of dividers to measure out some angels. I'll put it on the list....thanks for nothing! ;-)

Strange word BTW, "Trammel". Sounds like a loose saw blade.

Bas.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Speaking of dust collection . . .

I was wondering how many folks worry about 1 micron dust particles in the shop but still smoke cigarettes (or cigars, etc.)?

pete

lottathought

New User
Michael
She has figured out that it takes QUALITY TOOLS to earn a living. Oh yeah, she bought me Bill Hylton's book "Router Magic" at the show. This is one of my most treasured and used books.

It took me a few years to finally figure out that there is usually a reason why some tools cost more than others.
And I am still trying to teach my dad this one... :lol:

My problem is that I have too much for the space that I have got.
I keep telling myself..the weight bench needs to go..to make room for the band saw.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bas, that is one cool looking shop! I like the old coke machine and the checkerboard flooring pattern; I've been trying to find one of the old Coca-cola chest-type coolers for my barn. (Just can't stomach paying $1,500 for something to sit on the loading dock though...).

What's the "strangest" tool that I have in my shop? That would be a hard one to answer; mainly because my most unusual woodworking tools are not in the shop - they're outside and used to harvest trees to turn to logs to mill on the sawmill into boards to dry in the kiln...

Soo.... if I open your question up to include "unusual tools outside of the shop"... I'd have to say that my sawmill is the most unusual tool that I have - it's a swingblade mill and they are not that common.

Scott

Attachments

• Scott_peterson_v1.jpg
    Scott_peterson_v1.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 183
  • scott_peterson2v1.jpg
    scott_peterson2v1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 177

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
A urinal, that's about the strangest thing that I have in my shop. It's not often that you go into somebody's home shop and see a bathroom with a toilet and a urinal. The shop is a pole barn style 32'x40' about a 100' away, and down a hill from the house, so the bathroom comes in real handy:oops::oops::oops:. It turns out that the guy we bought the house from was a plumber (it even has it's own septic system).

By the way (post gloat), when we were moving from NJ my LOML was looking at houses without me and chose this one. She truly loves me.

Jimmy

sediener

New User
Steve
A urinal, that's about the strangest thing that I have in my shop. It's not often that you go into somebody's home shop and see a bathroom with a toilet and a urinal. The shop is a pole barn style 32'x40' about a 100' away, and down a hill from the house, so the bathroom comes in real handy:oops::oops::oops:. It turns out that the guy we bought the house from was a plumber (it even has it's own septic system).

By the way (post gloat), when we were moving from NJ my LOML was looking at houses without me and chose this one. She truly loves me.

Jimmy

Either she loves you or knew what would happen to her flowers if you didn't have another place to relieve yourself. ;)

- Steve

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas, that is one cool looking shop! I like the old coke machine and the checkerboard flooring pattern;
Thanks! I have some more pictures of my shop.

What's the "strangest" tool that I have in my shop? ... I'd have to say that my sawmill is the most unusual tool that I have - it's a swingblade mill and they are not that common.
Now that is an impressive piece of equipment. Never seen anything like it. I'm not sure about "strangest" but it definitely qualifies as one-of-a-kind.

Bas.

DaveD

New User
Dave
You folks are looking at this tool cost all wrong.... read on.....:icon_thum
Do you have any wall space left in the shop? If you do you don't own enough tools yet.:)

Is there a place to put another tool box somewhere in the shop? if there is then you don't own enough tools yet.:)

Does your significant other spend more on their 'stuff' than you do on tools? if they do then you don't have enough tools.;-)

If your shop is completely packed then you need a bigger shop. After you get the bigger shop then go back to the top of this post and continue reading.:slap:

Does your shop space equal at least 75% of the sq feet of the livable portion of your current house? if not then your 'shop' is smaller than the 'shop' of your significant other. Get a bigger shop.:eusa_danc

In the kitchen of my house there are at least 15 wooden spoons, 6 metal wisks, a couple dozen cooking forks/spoons, 3 sets of measuring cups, 4 mixers of various sizes, a couple of different type Cuisenarts, 3 sets of dishes that could feed the whole neighborhood, enough knives to fill 2 drawers, every cookbook that was ever published, enough pots/pans to stock a good sized hotel, 30 different types of cookie sheets/muffin pans. And all that doesn't include the good china and silver that is only used twice a year or the multiple turkey roasters, salad throwers, punch sets, etc. WHAT DO THEY NEED ALL THAT STUFF FOR?:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

For you older/more experienced folks think back how all the pot/pan technology changes every 5 years (stainless steel, cast aluminum, teflon coated, copper bottomed, flat (to go with the solid surface cook tops), no stick surfaces, etc.. and you get roped into getting them. Heck they probably magically just show up in the kitchen and we probably don't say anything about it.:drunken_s

So.........even with my 40 years of constantly buying small/medium/large tools I will NEVER catch up to the other 'stuff' either in volume or cost. Just not possible.:roll:

And that's only the kitchen. I could go on about the other 'stuff' too (jewelry, dolls, crystal, knick knacks, etc), but that would make it even more depressing.:-:)crybaby2::cry:

Emeril's knives, Julia Child's knives, and the other 15 'nationally recognized' chefs/cooks that sell their knives (and other stuff). Seems to me about all you need is 3 knives in the kitchen (small, medium, large), not two complete drawers packed with knives.:slap:

Stand up for yourselves. We need to unite. 'They' buy something that plugs in should entitle us to buy something that plugs in. They buy a pot/pan/knife/etc., should entitle us to expand our tool base by one new tool.:eusa_danc

Oh yeah forget about buying used tools. When was the last time the significant other bought a used pot/pan/knife? NEW baby, BUY NEW.:eusa_danc

One last point. At least we have some remote chance to make something in out shop and sell it to support your hobby. When was the last time something was cooked in your kitchen and sold to help pay for some new utensil in the kitchen? Cooking something and donating it to a bake sale doesn't count.:)

I add a new hobby to my arsenal about every 10 years so I will NEVER run out of tools to buy.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc My shop is the proverbial '10 pounds of stuff in the 5 pound bag'

Remember 'the one that dies with the most 'toys' wins'. -or- 'You can tell the men from the boys by the price of their toys'.

Besides you have to keep the economy energized and moving forward. :eusa_danc

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
And that's only the kitchen. I could go on about the other 'stuff' too (jewelry, dolls, crystal, knick knacks, etc), but that would make it even more depressing.

*Makes deep bow*
Dave, I have seen the light. A couple of Haikus, in your honor:

Have printed Harbor Freight coupons
Will purchase vast quantities, yet save money
Then spend savings at Klingspor

Do not sweat small stuff
Repent, woodworker, heed Dave's words of wisdom
One with most toys wins

Bas.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Nice shop and nice set up?

The tool acquisition process for me never stops. I constantly drool and want more. I drool for bigger stationary tools, festool, hand tools, precision instruments, and I can go on and on and on.....

As for buying stuff at harbor freight, I do it myself. Never know for sure on some stuff if it is something you are going to use much and you can't beat the prices. Some stuff is as good as higher end stuff. I have a harbor freight lathe and as much as I use it I see no reason to upgrade.

Strangest tool I have in my shop..... Hmmm..... Probably the bright yellow cyclone and all of the 8" pipe strapped to the ceiling.

My one recommendation on what to get next, although it seems like a waste of time is filtering be it a shop vac hooked up to your sanders, a cartridge filter system for the dust in the air, and/or a respirator. Respirator should be pretty high on the list as it is wise to have one around and wear it. The ones at Lowes for $30 bucks are good, and fit about like any of them.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dave,

I gotta know, do you let your wife read your posts ? If so, does she have a sister?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jimmy

You folks are looking at this tool cost all wrong.... read on.....:icon_thum
Do you have any wall space left in the shop? If you do you don't own enough tools yet.:)

Is there a place to put another tool box somewhere in the shop? if there is then you don't own enough tools yet.:)

Does your significant other spend more on their 'stuff' than you do on tools? if they do then you don't have enough tools.;-)

If your shop is completely packed then you need a bigger shop. After you get the bigger shop then go back to the top of this post and continue reading.:slap:

Does your shop space equal at least 75% of the sq feet of the livable portion of your current house? if not then your 'shop' is smaller than the 'shop' of your significant other. Get a bigger shop.:eusa_danc

In the kitchen of my house there are at least 15 wooden spoons, 6 metal wisks, a couple dozen cooking forks/spoons, 3 sets of measuring cups, 4 mixers of various sizes, a couple of different type Cuisenarts, 3 sets of dishes that could feed the whole neighborhood, enough knives to fill 2 drawers, every cookbook that was ever published, enough pots/pans to stock a good sized hotel, 30 different types of cookie sheets/muffin pans. And all that doesn't include the good china and silver that is only used twice a year or the multiple turkey roasters, salad throwers, punch sets, etc. WHAT DO THEY NEED ALL THAT STUFF FOR?:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

For you older/more experienced folks think back how all the pot/pan technology changes every 5 years (stainless steel, cast aluminum, teflon coated, copper bottomed, flat (to go with the solid surface cook tops), no stick surfaces, etc.. and you get roped into getting them. Heck they probably magically just show up in the kitchen and we probably don't say anything about it.:drunken_s

So.........even with my 40 years of constantly buying small/medium/large tools I will NEVER catch up to the other 'stuff' either in volume or cost. Just not possible.:roll:

And that's only the kitchen. I could go on about the other 'stuff' too (jewelry, dolls, crystal, knick knacks, etc), but that would make it even more depressing.:-:)crybaby2::cry:

Emeril's knives, Julia Child's knives, and the other 15 'nationally recognized' chefs/cooks that sell their knives (and other stuff). Seems to me about all you need is 3 knives in the kitchen (small, medium, large), not two complete drawers packed with knives.:slap:

Stand up for yourselves. We need to unite. 'They' buy something that plugs in should entitle us to buy something that plugs in. They buy a pot/pan/knife/etc., should entitle us to expand our tool base by one new tool.:eusa_danc

Oh yeah forget about buying used tools. When was the last time the significant other bought a used pot/pan/knife? NEW baby, BUY NEW.:eusa_danc

One last point. At least we have some remote chance to make something in out shop and sell it to support your hobby. When was the last time something was cooked in your kitchen and sold to help pay for some new utensil in the kitchen? Cooking something and donating it to a bake sale doesn't count.:)

I add a new hobby to my arsenal about every 10 years so I will NEVER run out of tools to buy.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc My shop is the proverbial '10 pounds of stuff in the 5 pound bag'

Remember 'the one that dies with the most 'toys' wins'. -or- 'You can tell the men from the boys by the price of their toys'.

Besides you have to keep the economy energized and moving forward. :eusa_danc

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Dave,

I gotta know, do you let your wife read your posts ? If so, does she have a sister?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jimmy

That explains why he spends so much time in the doghouse! If I used similar reasoning with my wife..... when she thinks I have done something dumb, I can usually point to someone on here who has stretched the limits even further, but not always. DaveD's post will be a constant reference now. :icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Bas, I am really lost now...can you list what you DONT have in your shop? Seems like it will be a shorter list. :slap:

DaveD

New User
Dave
OK, time for lesson #2 on how to get the significant other to let you buy tools........

Can you say 'BUSINESS CASE'? :-D

Go price something professionally that she is going to have done weather you agree or not. Then underbid the job so you get it.:eusa_danc

Right after we got married we decided to remodel our kitchen. Up to this point all I had done was build some walnut furniture while in the Army (using their really great woodworking shop). So we go price out a kitchen remodel. I say I can do it for half price including buying table saw, drill press, air compressor, spray gun, router, yada, yada, plus some plumbing and electrical tools.:icon_thum

I got the job and it worked out fine. Exactly what she wanted. 'Saved' 50% off of retail and got tools left over.:eusa_clap

1st kids bedroom furniture....same deal...more tools and save 50%.

$1000 stereo cabinet made for 300$ in material and $200 in new tools.

Throw in a few freebies every once in a while. Fix a chair, table leg, toy box for the kids, etc.

If the item goes over a couple hundred bucks then its BUSINESS CASE time again.

Now get them to want to put an addition on the house. Got the guts to try it yourself. I did. $50K addition for half price and I got at least a few grand in air nailers, chop saws, etc.

Getting the idea...:slap:

Now, you need the significant other to want a BIG cabinet made out of hardwood. The more expensive the hardwood the better. Go buy 500 bd ft of rough sawn hardwood and a $1500 planer to plane it down. You are probably still below retail for already planed wood. You also have a new expensive tool in your arsenal.:icon_thum

Build your own deck. Justifies impact drivers, BIG drills, BIGGER routers.

Put up your own crown moulding? 3 piece? stain grade? Living room, dining room, kitchen, family room. Can you see finish nailers in your life?:icon_thum
How about a LVHP sprayer?:icon_thum think BUSINESS CASE :eusa_danc

Fixing all my own cars/trucks over the years has paid for all my mechanics tools in spades. Throw a teen age son in the mix who can wreck cars faster than you can fix them and you even have the opportunity to try your hand at body work (more tools :lol:).

And remember.....
your significant other is still outspending you for the 'stuff' that she 'absolutely needs'. :roll::crybaby2:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
LOL! You have it down pat. The LOML is really pretty good with me about buying toyls. I am always building and/or doing something for the house anyway. For awhile she did give me grief about every time I did something I needed a new toyl, but those days are in the past. The only thing that gets her riled up is when doing a project I have to make more than one trip to the BORG in one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS