Survey: Klingspor Woodworking Showcase 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Now that the dust has settled on the 2009 showcase, Paul Rolfe (Show host and store manager at Klingspor) has asked for our input on how to improve the show for next year.

Here are Paul's comment from another thread:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showpost.php?p=231475&postcount=17

Please post any ideas you have. Likes, dislikes, would like to see more off, less of.

With our input, we can help to make next years show even better. If thats possible :)

Wanted to start this while the show was still fresh in everyones minds.

Thanks,
Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'll post my thoughts while I'm at it....

1. Start campaign sooner. I don't think we gave woodworkers enough lead time. I'd be so bold as to start 6 months ahead of time.

2. Afternoon activites. Ok, I'll admit it. I want to see belt sander races. I think heats of 2 with stock and no-holds-bar-anything-goes class would be a lot of fun. Also, for galoots, a plane shaving competition.

3. Non-competition workpiece display. For folks who might be willing to show off a piece or two, but don't feel comfortable entering a judged competition.

4. High School. In Hillsborough we have a nationally recognized woodworking program. We did not canvas the schools. I think starting early and adding effort to hit the schools would help a lot.

5. Demo Schedule. I can't express my appreciation for all the demonstrators. I did worry a bit that they were not given time slots. I fear some of them may have felt obligated to work the whole day. I have no basis in fact on this, just my observation.

6. New category, tools. As John and Earl showed us, there are quite a few tool makers out there. I think it could be very interesting to have a competition for tools. Of course, no trebuchet's with watermellons....

7. More food. Yes, I don't eat meat, but maybe expanding the selection a bit.

8. Designated photographers. In no way a comment on GeorgeL's work. I think the TWA had someone dedicated to photos. I'd like to see us have a few volunteers to be on the schedule to take pics. With so many things going on, I never even to my camera.

9. NCWW Photo shoots. Maybe we snap pics at the table, or try to get everyone in one place for a group shot?

10. Name tags. With a bit of luck, we could probably whip up name tags for folks using a laptop/printer. Might be too much to do it ahead of time.

K, thats what I got. Did I mention belt sander races?

Thanks again to all involved and hope to see next years show even better!

Jim

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My thoughts:

- The word has to get out more then I believe it has and maybe more directly. Newspaper weekend section, Craigslist, flyers in other related stores (Hardwood Store, East Wake Hardwoods, Raleigh Hardwoods,....)

- Talk directly with NC State and other area colleges that offer courses in wood arts. Jim already mentioned high schools.

- There are more organizations then TWA and NCWW in the State. We need to talk to them.

- A set schedule of events and demos so folks can plan their day better.

- Sell opportunity. Let it been know that after the judging items can be sold provided they are not removed until after 4:00 PM.

- Maybe move the show earlier in the year...not great for outside events but when the weather get nice many folks have too many other to do's.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I agree with all above and want to reiterate earlier planning, organization and marketing. I think that if the word had gotten out sooner and out to more folks there would be more entries in the competition. I also think that more folks would know about it and come by. I felt that 90% of the people at the show where either participants or contestants. A few unsuspecting souls walked in just to buy something and got more than they bargained for (a good thing) and there where some folks that just came out because they knew something was going on. We needed more of those folks.

Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Get the word out, get the word out, get the word out.
Maybe even talk one of the tv stations to announce the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS