Super Glue--Cyanoacrylate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Well I've almost let myself run out of CA so it's time to order.
I buy it from Monty at Wooden Wonders
It's $15.20 for 8 oz. which is less than 4 oz. at most places, and keeps real good in the shop fridge. I've been using the EZ Bond brand for years with no complaints, except for getting it on the floor and stepping in it! :cool: :BangHead:

Oh, free shipping for orders over $20

No affiliation with the vendor except as a happy customer.

Last edited:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Monty carries a good reputation at IAP.
Hard to beat his prices or service.
If I can support either a woodworker or a big box - there's no choice for me to make

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Source for epoxy glue

Thanks for the CA source. It is sometimes difficult to get medium or thick CA in the local stores.

I find that I do use epoxy glue occasionally, but the five minute stuff is not workable long enough. Unfortunately, 5 or 60 minute epoxy is often all I can find at the hardware and woodworking stores, nothing in between. So, I use 30 minute epoxy available at hobby stores. For example: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=epoxy+glue&search=Go

KC7CN

New User
Don
Well I've almost let myself run out of CA so it's time to order.
I buy it from Monty at Wooden Wonders
It's $15.20 for 8 oz. which is less than 4 oz. at most places, and keeps real good in the shop fridge. I've been using the EZ Bond brand for years with no complaints, except for getting it on the floor and stepping in it! :cool: :BangHead:

Oh, free shipping for orders over $20

No affiliation with the vendor except as a happy customer.

Just curious, what/how do you use Super Glue? The few times I needed something for a difficult glue job, it didn't work! In all fairness, Plastic was not on the list of compatible materials. Some examples would be appreciated.

-Don

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
I like the Thick CA... it's almost like an epoxy filling gaps & voids very well...
Medium is good for a little filling with the glue-up.
Thin, when it has to flow into the joint surfaces.

With the Accelerator, it's INSTANT... not even a 5 min. wait!

I love it!!

I have even used it on Plastic... no problem... Plastic to Plastic (cracked bumper).

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Just curious, what/how do you use Super Glue? The few times I needed something for a difficult glue job, it didn't work! In all fairness, Plastic was not on the list of compatible materials. Some examples would be appreciated.

-Don
Mostly on turnings Don. CA finishing pens, I use lots hardening punky wood.
For flatwork I use medium or thick with sawdust or coffee grounds to fill knotholes and other defects. If it's a large defect I use epoxy usually

DavidF

New User
David
That's a great link Ken, thanks for sharing. I have used a ton of it on some recent "troublesome" turnings.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

-Don
Stabilize cracks in wood
Glue back a piece of wood that is torn out during routing/ chiseling
Fill gaps by applying some CA glue and then sanding it immediately (while it's wet - mixes with the sawdust)

And CA glue EXCELS at gluing your fingers together :) If you've ever done that, raise both hands.

fergy

New User
Fergy
Another use for it is as a quick clamping helper when using regular wood glue. For example, I just glued small trim strips into a corner on a table I'm doing. I used titebond on the joint, and put spots of cyanoacrylate along the trim strip. Press into place, clamp for a couple of minutes. Cyanoacrylate holds pieces together tightly until the wood glue sets.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Thanks for all the suggestions on how to use Super Glue. The stuff I have looks like the picture below. I can see by the discussions in this post there are more options. I did learn not to get it on my fingers - DAMHIKT :BangHead:

-Don

231px-Super_Glue_tube.jpg

fergy

New User
Fergy
It comes in consistencies from water-thin to toothpaste-thick. There are a ton of different formulas that will do different things. You can use it to make o-rings or gaskets, and you can even use it underwater with the proper technique.

The little tubes like you've got aren't the best stuff. The special-purpose ones that you'll find at specialty stores are better for the special purpose projects being discussed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS