sun parched door

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
My son's new house (1 year old) has a wooden front door that has a dark stain and clear finish. The house faces west. The lower half of the door has been parched by the sun. I do not know what the original finish is. What is the best product and procedure to correct this.
I really do not want to sand down to bare wood, stain & finish. I would hope there would be a finish that i could use over the original, maybe with light sanding. Help!!!
James

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
sand lightly seal and paint.:dontknow: paint realy is the best finish for exterior doors.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
+1 on the paint. It will hold up the longest. Or get a metal door and be done with it.
Dave:)

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I would agree that paint is the best option for an exterior door, buuuuuut............if you are intent on a wood door with a "natural" appearance, then there are some options to consider.

Sikkens Cetol is an excellent clear finish for exterior applications. It will require about 3 coats. I'm not sure what would be needed to prepare your door for this product, but I suspect that if you look on the Sikkens website, you can get the information you need.

The other option would be one of the marine spar varnishes. Epiphanes is considered to be the product in this category by which others are judged. Multiple coats are required for maximum protection.

If you are going to go the natural wood route, I would not consider any options other than a really high quality product, and that means paying a premium price. Forget the spar varnish at the big box stores. Go with what the pros use.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Marc Spagnuolo (aka The WoodWhisperer) has a wiping mix that he likes for exterior doors in the very dry and hot environment of his hometown of Phoenix, AZ. Sun parching is a recurring process out there.

It's basically BLO, mineral spirits, and importantly Epiphanes Spar Varnish. I don't recall the exact proportions, but it is LIGHT on the varnish. You can search his site for a video description and demonstration. It does have to be redone every couple of years if you don't mind that inconvenience. Otherwise the other member suggestions will give you a minimum maintenance solution. :icon_scra

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Thanks matt, my son likes the door like it is. Painting is not an options. Thank for you input.
James

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Thanks jeff, my son likes his door, so painting is not an option. Thanks for your input.
James

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Thanks for your response. My son wants to keep the door like it is. So painting is not an option. Thanks for your input.
James

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Dave, shame on you a woodworker suggesting steel. I still want to get with you one day soon so i can learn how to get pictures on my posts/threads. Have to learn how to get them off the camera and onto my computer first.
Thanks
james

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS