Stone ZCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
I have a Ridgid R4511 granite topped TS. I really like the saw but a couple near mishaps lately convinced me that I needed a ZCI for it. Commercial ZCIs cost over a $1 a square inch if you include shipping which just goes against my frugal nature. :no: I had made one out of hardwood but unfortunately the anti-kickback pawls would dig into it when I changed blade heights. :eusa_doh:Today I started a scavenger hunt in the shop for an alternative material meeting the following criteria:
1) Dead flat.
2) Easily machinable for blade slot, leveling screws, and mounting screws.
3) Hard enough that the pawls would not dig in.
4) Looks cool (optional :gar-La;)
5) Able to use factory splitter /guard (changes height with blade)
After rooting around for a while I ran across some synthetic stone backsplash stock that met all of my criteria. :widea:

45 minutes of cutting, sanding, drilling and tapping later I had my ZCI ! :eusa_danc I am not 100% pleased with the fit but I am sure the next ones will be better.

100_0228.jpg

Now that I know how easy this stuff is to work I will be experimenting with auxilliary faces for the TS fence and the router table fence since it has a nice smooth hard surface which takes wax well. :wsmile:

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice job Glenn:icon_thum:icon_thum almost looks like it belongs there.:gar-Bi oh... my bad... it does belong there!:rotflm:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice use of an unconventional (to woodworking) material, Glenn. I always love it when I can use something that was intended for a different use. Especially if it's cheaper, and just as good, as the woodworking alternative. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Bill

jhreed

New User
james
Glenn, what is the material. I have Caesar Stone which is a synthetic quartz material, but it has to be machined just like granite.
James

sawduster

New User
Robert
That's pretty darned clever bro . I see you're [STRIKE]a cheapskate[/STRIKE] frugal just like me :rotflm:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Way to use the ol' noggin, Glenn. Bonus that you kept something out of the dump, too.:icon_thum

Glennbear

Glenn
Glenn, what is the material. I have Caesar Stone which is a synthetic quartz material, but it has to be machined just like granite.
James

Glenn,

I'd love to hear what this stuff is and where you got it. It sounds like an ideal material.

I obtained this from another woodworker who got it from a countertop contractor. It looks like terrazzo but judging from the smell it is an acrylic or phenolic compound. It machines with carbide or HSS tools, I was able to sand it and it cuts on the bandsaw using a standard blade. When I cut it for the first time my olfactory memory kicked in and it smelled like the plastic we used as insulating material in the electronics industry. I had no trouble using standard brad point or forstner drill bits. Tapping it for set screws was just as easy. I think it is Corian or something similar. As an interesting bit of trivia, allegedly Corian was originally developed as a substitute for human bone and is still used in some musical instruments as a substitute for animal bone.:wsmile:

Last edited:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Corian (Dupont) has been used to make ZCI's for years. I have a piece that I'm "aging" (meaning when I finally get around to it) to make some ZCI's. You might want to think about using a dovetail bit, and routing a recess the length of your ZCI so you can just replace a thin strip, instead of whole ZCI when changing blades.

Glennbear

Glenn
Corian (Dupont) has been used to make ZCI's for years. I have a piece that I'm "aging" (meaning when I finally get around to it) to make some ZCI's. You might want to think about using a dovetail bit, and routing a recess the length of your ZCI so you can just replace a thin strip, instead of whole ZCI when changing blades.

Thanks Bruce, that is a great idea. :widea: I had already planned on making the fence faces with removable center sections at the blade/bit (45's). :wsmile:

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
It's referred to as "solid surface" countertop material and sold under numerous brand names such as Corian, Avonite, Gemstone, Mystera, Hi-Macs, etc. It is 100% thermoset plastic and typically acrylic (Polymethyl methacrylate) but sometimes also epoxies are used (lower end types). Solid surface material IS NOT a stone product so the Ceasarstone is not similar (THAT material is known as 'quartz' or 'engineered stone' countertop material and is made from crushed stone mixed with resin, typically polyester or epoxy).

You can machine 'solid surface' material with woodworking tools. Quartz/engineered stone materials require diamond tooling. Corian can be polished to a gloss finish, making it even more slick (use water for higher grits, can use sandpaper or scotchbrite, the latter is the industry standard). Corian makes for a good top surface as well, it's not just good for jigs, inlaying, pen stock or machine componentry. I have fabricated in both, if anyone wants advice just ask. Both types of material are far superior to granite for use in food prep areas (solid surface and engineered stone materials are both NSF approved, granite IS NOT).

Solid surface is typically found in sheets (full or partial) but the raw materials can sometimes be found on the internet (rarely). With the compounds you can create your own tops, sinks, fixtures, jigs, etc. using molds and plenty of advance research/safety preparation.

Last edited:

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Glenn - BTW, you put the solid surface material to a beautiful use. Nicely done. The contrast is a great choice, for safety's sake and all that...

jhreed

New User
james
I have been looking for some of this material to use as pen blanks. Have not had any luck. Does anyone know where I can obtain some scrap Corian etc for this purpose?
James

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I have been looking for some of this material to use as pen blanks. Have not had any luck. Does anyone know where I can obtain some scrap Corian etc for this purpose?
James

Read Dean's first post, says it's not good for pen blanks... might want to follow up with him about why....

Travis

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
" it's not just good for jigs, inlaying, pen stock or machine componentry."

Ah, Travis you better reread that. Corian makes great pens!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors