Sterilizing bowl blanks - getting out the bugs, fungus, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Unless you buy all your blanks undoubted some will have something alive in the wood whether it's termites, beetles, or spalting fungus. I'm concerned about these things and I don't want them sprayed all over me or the shop while turning. I don't want to soak in DNA because that would get expensive pretty quickly. So I'm wondering about the effectiveness of soaking in soap/water. Also wondering about fumigating, maybe sealing them in a bucket with some bug spray or other poison but then I'm concerned about long term contamination of the wood. Basically looking for guidance here.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have found creatures in logs being hollowed out for my crafty projects. I do spray with bug spray and seal in a plastic garbage bag for a couple weeks. Then I take it out and let it air out for a couple weeks in the shop before using it. Not saying its right, just what I do.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
If you put anything on the blank and then put it in a plastic bag, you will for sure get mold and mildew growing on it. I wouldn't worry about bugs, but wear a mask if you're concerned about fungus. You won't have to worry about dust if you're turning green wood.

Roy G

Rick M

New User
Rick
Actually I was more concerned about using the bowls for food but I've been given two sources that basically say not to worry about it. One was a Fine Woodworking article from 1996, the other from the Dept of Agriculture. My other concern was giving someone a bowl and a termite or beetle burrowing out of it.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
If I turn a blank that has evidence of beetles in it, I usually put a little thin CA on each bug hole. You can sand some to fill in the hole a little. Then I finish sanding and put on the finish. Never had a critter crawl out.

Roy G

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
the micro-wave is you're friend. 3-4 minutes on high. let cool rinse and repeat a few times. if the blank is too big you can cook it in the oven. not sure about time and temp but i bet scsmith can help with that.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I put ornament and game piece "cookies" in the oven, usually around 160 to 200 degrees for 15-20 minutes since they're only around 1/2" thick. I've put trunk and limb pieces in at that temp for 30-45 minutes, depending on the circumference and length, or until I think it's gotten to the set temperature the whole way through. Anything bigger than will fit in the stove I guess you could make a solar kiln that they would fit in. I have put some trunk pieces I used for table legs in our deep freezer for a little over a week, but seems I recall reading somewhere that cold wouldn't kill some insect larvae. :eusa_thin

MTCW, HTH

Brian.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
There's nothing quite like the feeling of turning through a beetle larva. Makes an interesting spatter pattern on your shirt.

Roy G

joec

joe
User
I have a concern with some air dried QS Sycamore that I bought about three days after the squirrels left the branches. I will be using it this winter after two years drying. I hate to use it and worry about bugs etc. Scott Smith told me about an article in Fine Woodworking about how to sterilize wood by building a box out of rigid insulation and heating the wood up, over a couple of days, to a temp that will kill all larvae. I have not been able to find the article. Anyone know of this? I also can take it to a kiln and have them do it, but it is not a big pile of lumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS