Started rearranging the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I finally started to get the shop organized by building new counter tops and will build the lowers with plywood. I plan on setting all the machines on the 15 feet of counter that I started to build the frame work for today. Still got a long wy to go but one day at a time. I do plan on building the lower cabinet with plywood and will have under counter shelving behind doors and under the shelves will be drawers that will have wheels on them and sits on the concrete floor so I can open cabinet and pull out the drawers that will hold the heavier items. Counter tops are just sitting on the framework right now so I can get an idea of how things will look. I still need to line the underside with plywood to help close it all in and will add the doors last. Here are a few pics the wife took while I was working.
IMG_2321.jpg IMG_2324.jpg IMG_2328.jpg IMG_2327.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Frank, base cabinets are very useful, but don't go overboard building them the entire perimeter of the shop. I did so and wish I'd left more wall space for equipment. Of course every shop is different so do what feels right for you. I am currently thinking about removing some of my shop lower cabinets to make room for more stationary equipment.

You seem to have a very good plan in progress, so don't let me slow you down. Carry on and good luck getting it exactly the way you want it.

It looks very good so far.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Agrees with Ken. I did the same and now wish I hadn't putin so many base cabinets

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Good looking build Frank, can't wait to see them finished, I may steal an idea or two. J

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I plan on doing just the one wall that you see there. I have the out-feed table and work bench that is on wheels mixed in all that mess. The work bench was originally an oak dresser that someone tossed and I grabbed just for the wood but when I got it back home, I decided to add here and there and next thing I know I had a work bench that was about 7'X3' and a little more then 3 inches thick. Gutted the drawers and made cabinets out of it and other side is all shelves now to hold a lot of tools that I had to keep in cases to keep clean. I hate going into cases each time I want a tool or to put it away but got tired of cleaning off the lizard turds!
As stated so many times before, I am not a craftsman by any stretch of imagination. I am a hobby worker and builder of anything needed except the fine furniture. My building comes from being a carpenter and hobbyist. I will be trying to get my shop back up soon, but having a great (but frustrating) time doing it. It is just another project in between the ones the wife keep giving me! Thanks for all the support.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I am still in the process of building & rebulding my shop cabinets. All of my cabinets are stand alone. So far I've built a HVLP & airbrush, portable power tool, hand tool, 4 sanders, down draft/ sandpaper storage, mortise machine and miter/RAS cabinets. I am now looking at a new workbench, detail bench & a upgrade on my sharpening cabinet. Photos to come. I have found that a one cabinet for everything didn't work out well for me. I am a old draftsman & graphic/dimensional designer, and drawen & redrawen these plans for several years adding & deleteing as I went. The work bench is still up in the air, and now I'm ready to build it. So I guess I better figuer it out soon. :widea:

PS: Your build looks great.

Pop

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I let the wife loose with her broom. She loves cleaning. The dog walks around all the time and then goes in the house and tracks the saw dust all over the house and then I have to run around with vacuum. Besides, you can't see where the saws are! You want to see a mess, try and find the saws!!

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Here is my update for today if anyone is interested. Doesn't look like much has been done but I got the plywood panel installed behind the frame and painted. All the panels cut and painted with two coats of Sherwin Williams "Ice Cube". Wife picked it out for one of the rooms in the house and it does a good job of reflecting the light so I used it too. Besides, It was leftover paint and I needed some!
Got the shelf brackets cut, drilled and painted. I will mount those maybe tomorrow if I can bend over by then. Back went out on me again. Pinched nerve.
Got the shop cleaned up again the best I could with air hose until the next go around. At least I can find the saws! I need to go price some upper cabinets yet. I want the small ones that you would normally mount over the frig and microwave unit. Don't like the big ones! Hoping to find some scratch and dent units. Still got the front to figure out and then the doors and roll out drawers for the floor. WIP....

IMG_2330.jpg IMG_2331.jpg

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Wife helped me out today because of the pinched nerve giving me problems. Got a little more done. Need to do more painting and get ready to make the doors and the roll out drawers that ride on the floor. I found my table saw!
IMG_2334.jpg IMG_2335.jpg IMG_2336.jpg IMG_2337.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking really good Frank. Seems like you'll soon be moving on from working ON the shop to working IN the shop. Carry on friend.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Looks good Frank. Clean and bright.

I noticed your saw horses too! Similar to the ones that Paul Brogan made recently in his "Starting from scratch" thread. This work shop stuff can be pandemic.

Just knocked up a quick sawhorse from an old pallet.

This is my version of the folding sawhorse - note the top stretcher which prevents it opening too wide.

Just open it up and use it without having to fiddle with a strap/piece of string/bar at the bottom.​

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Looks good Frank. Clean and bright.

I noticed your saw horses too! Similar to the ones that Paul Brogan made recently in his "Starting from scratch" thread. This work shop stuff can be pandemic.

Just knocked up a quick sawhorse from an old pallet.

This is my version of the folding sawhorse - note the top stretcher which prevents it opening too wide.

Just open it up and use it without having to fiddle with a strap/piece of string/bar at the bottom.​

I like the horses Jeff. They were easy to build, and allow me to use a 2x4, 2x6 or even a 2x8 for the top if I need the height. I built the two sets. One set is shorter then the other. It was really not by design. I started building the first set and found I had made a mistake with the angles at the bottom and recut causing the lower horses. After getting more wood, I built the second set at the normal height. I thought about making another set the same as the higher ones, but found that I have use for the two heights with my wife being shorter and she can use the first set. It all works out!

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Took a trip out to HD looking for upper cabinets in the scratch and dent area. Nothing today, so I keep looking. The cabinets I find so far as too large for my use. Still looking for the ones that usually fit over the microwave units and sometimes over the frig units. They are shorter then normal. That is all I really want as far as size goes. It will still allow me to have a top open shelf above the cabinets and be able to reach them with my small 2 foot ladder.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I don't know your area, but a Habitat ReStore might be a good source for any one-off cabinets for your workshop.

Henry

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
We have a store in Danville Va where I do my shopping but they charge about $2 less then the store does for new materials. I have even seen some prices actually higher then at Lowe's. When I asked the guy about that he gave me a dirty look and said you should go to Lowe's then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS