stanly bailey plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanmarman2007

New User
Jody
I found an old Stanley Bailey #27, in a scrap iron center. I bought it because the wood base and handles were in really good shape, other than dirty. The metal was a big chunck of rust. I've cleaned it all up wire brushed all the metal parts, jointed the base, sharpened the blade to were I can shave with it.
Here's the problem, I've watched people use these planes they get nice long shavings with hardly any effort.
I try and it just catches in the wood and stops me in my tracks. I've made several adjustments and still no luck.
I like these old planes just never used them.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
These planes were called 'transitional,' because they were a combination of wood and metal. Prior to the advent of the all-metal plane most planes were all wood. It is tough to say without seeing your plane, but often the wooden base was 'trued' by planing it. This had the effect of causing the mouth to open over time. The space between the mouth opening and your blade will determine the size of your shavings.

If you cannot get the blade close to the mouth, this is likely your problem. Many of these old planes had butterfly's laid into them specifically to close up the mouth to the original specs. I have several of these and restored them as conversation pieces. In general they cannot compare to a modern plane in working ability, but they can be fun to use nevertheless when they are properly tuned.
I suggest you wax the sole - best of luck!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Pictures of the sole might help. Could be the mouth too wide, iron too deep (most likely), or maybe just the iron isn't held securely. A loose iron or something under it that prevents it seating solidly will also cause the "digging in" problem.

Go

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Another possibility is having the blade inserted upside down. Bevel down vs. bevel up. DAMHIKT :gar-Bi Sometimes that will cause problems.

HTH

Bill

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
One other possibility that would make it difficult to use would be a blade that is the wrong size! Looked at a couple of reference books and your blade should be 2 & 1/8" wide according to my sources. Hope that is helpful. :wink_smil

Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS