Stanley Sweetheart Planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
The misses has asked what I wanted for Fathers day/post birthday, and with the Greensboro Woodcrafts 15% bag sale tomorrow, why not pick up a block plane. Being that I do not have a block plane, or any other plane that is currently, in usable condition I was thinking about the Stanley Sweetheart. I have no idea if it is of the caliber of a Lie-Nielsen but it should be more than good enough for me.

I do not remember seeing any discussion about this line here, is there any reason I should not? Now what about standard-vs low angle. I am going to guess for a first plane it should be standard angle. There have been several times I could have used one and ended up having to sand and sweat heavily.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Haven't tried one of the newer SWs so can't comment. As far as which to get, if you only own one, I'd go low-angle 60 1/2 since it's more versatile - it'll still work with and across the grain, but a lot better on end grain.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I've not used the new Stanleys, but have taken them apart and studied them at length (I'm just nosey!)

Are they good, I think so. The solid frog is very nice. But, I don't think they are a good value.

At the $100 cost of the Stanley, you could go with this wonderful low angle Lie-Nielsen: http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1221

Either case, I suggest the low angle. You can easily change the bevel on a block plane, so its possible to make a low angle work like a standard angle, but not the other way.

I think you'd find that for the money, one of the Groz planes from Woodcraft would be fine.

Unless you look at Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley, there will be a degree of tune up required. I'd opt to buy the cheaper plane and spend time tuning it up, rather than the Stanley (which likely still requires tuning).

Jim

eyekode

New User
Salem
I agree. I really like the feel of the knuckle cap planes. The blades aren't really up to snuff and I am not sure if you can get a Hock replacement for this plane but I use one quite often. It is my "beater" block plane. I also have a woodriver block plane. Ick, it feels awful in comparison. It is too heavy and the iron isn't even as wide. It also doesn't have lateral adjustment which is a pain. But when properly tuned both of these work great.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Ditto what everyone else has said about a low angle block plane. There are only a few tools in my shop that I categorize as "sweet": the low angle block plane is one of them, along w/ an old wooden spokeshave. Just an absolute pleasure to use. :eusa_danc

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS