Stanley #4 from eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Billed as pre 1925 as US PAT APR 19-10 is stamped on it.
Any comments - info - tips - ???

Attachments

• d3_12.JPG
    d3_12.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 0b_12.JPG
    0b_12.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 04_3.JPG
    04_3.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 302
  • ac_12.JPG
    ac_12.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 277

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks like a real keeper! :icon_thum I'd call it a type 13, so the 1925 date probably isn't far off... The pics are great, and I don't see any damage or problems. It even has a corrugated bottom, so that's kind of nice as well... I'd hit it!!! The only problem with a plane that looks this nice on ebay is the price tends to be higher... :-?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Actually I already bought it.
It hasn't arrived yet but I won the auction last week.
Paid $38.00.
I don't know a whole lot about old planes but thought this one looked pretty good.

Mike Stanley

New User
Mike
If you paid $38 for it, you got a good deal. We're going to assume the handle is rose wood? The back of the handle should have almost as much wear as the front knob. If it doesn't, then I'd think it had been replaced. Definately should't be a plastic look-a-like. Even if it were plastic, you got a good deal.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
It was shipped Monday so I should have it soon. I'll update when it arrives.
Plastic handle!?! I hope not!
Glad I bought a new set of Notron stones at the Show :)

Monty

New User
Monty
nah, those aren't plastic - those look to be the genuine article to me. Oh, and BTW... $38?!?!? Well then, let me be the first....

YOU SUCK!!! :mrgreen:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Me addicted? Nah.
But I an keeping my eye out for a deal on a good #7 . . .:eusa_shhh

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Well, the good news is the plane arrived today.:icon_thum

The bad news is it is a plastic handle :eusa_doh:

Oh well. I bought it as a tool not a collectable and all else seems OK with it. The blade needs some serious help but it should come out OK.

Anybody have a wood handle they don't need :bquestion

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
What determines the #? I have two large ones that I got from a flea market. Haven't used them. Paid $5.00 each. I will take a picture of them and post them. I don't know much about using them yet so they sit on a shelf collecting sawdust.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
The big'un in the rear.
Also, the front one looks like it's been repaired. I don't know if it was done on purpose but the photos on eBay were taken at a angles that covered up the repair. No one would do anything like that on purpose now would they:eusa_liar

Mike Stanley

New User
Mike
Dang, don't we wish that big handle hadn't been plastic. In the picture vs. price, I thought it was too good to be other than a plastic handle. Oh well, the plane is still worth a bit. Would be worth even more if you'd take the plastic handle and make yourself a real wooden handle to match.
Then, you'd really have something to brag about.
Good luck.

Monty

New User
Monty
Ouch... sorry about that. Trouble with ebay is you can get some deals, but you can get burned sometimes, too... I thought the plastic handles were black - that tote looks like wood grain. Obviously I would have fallen for it, too! :oops:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Nice handle there mbb! Is it Zebra wood (goncalo alves)?

Thought a little about making one but I think I'll probably just pick up a junk plane with a decent handle at a flea market sometime.

FWIW: I don't feel bad about buying it. The handle doesn't effect the performance; just the feel. And it wasn't a major investment. I'll just have to look closer and ask some question on my quest for a deal on a #7 :mrgreen:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Pete, there is a gentleman from Columbia, SC that sells parts and handles for Stanley planes. I can shoot you a PM with his email address if you are interested. I believe Sapwood bought a handle for $5 from this guy at the MWTCA show when it was in Durham.

D L

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Yes . . . I'd appreciate his email address.
That will save me some time wandering around flea markets looking for one :)

Thanks . . . pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS