staining quilted maple

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Kinda like the one your wearing in your avatar hu?

Jeff, guess you weren't around when the pilgrims landed. :lol:
David is the "redcoat" hiding in the back. Photochopping courtesy of Chris99z71 in November of 2005 :cool:

mayflower.jpg

With apologies for aiding and abetting the hijacking of this very informative post on staining quilted maple,
Roger

J

jeff...

I drug out a piece of maple from a tree a sawed back last summer and ran it through the planner, is this what you guys call quilted maple? If so, I'm digging some big wide thick natural edged pieces out of the corner of my shop to sell over in my private stash thread. This board has so much curl I'm almost wondering which way the grain runs :roll:

Why in the world would anyone want to stain something this pretty?

Attachments

• P5313182.jpg
    P5313182.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 150
  • P5313183.jpg
    P5313183.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 152
  • P5313184.jpg
    P5313184.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 151
  • P5313185.jpg
    P5313185.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 135
J

jeff...

Yeah it's certainly curly Maple, but what is the difference between quilted / tiger stripe and curly?

Thanks

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Jeff, I'd love a piece of that curly...got a special project already in mind for it...please lemme know when you get ready to sell it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Quilted Maple is generally Big Leaf Maple and has a much more 3-D look to it like rippling water -
quilted_maple.jpg

While curlyy Maple is found in most Maple species and has a more linear figure to it -
curly.jpg

Fiddleback Maple refers to curly Maple as it is often used on the back of musical instruments like fiddles. Tiger maple is curly where the stripes run across the whole board.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Cool thanks Dave, I guess this is curly then... Honestly all I knew is it was pretty stuff when I cut it so I set some aside and figured I would make something out of it one of these days. I'm not sure how much of this stuff you guys want but I have several 2" thick large 18" wide slabs like this shorter one, but taller, it's to wide to get through my planner. I'll have to get out there and figure out what I got and the BF and all maybe this weekend.

Dave thanks for the link there man, I'm telling you you got enough knowlege to right a book - just do it please... I' going to pick up about 1000 BF of nice 24" dia +++ RO saw logs from a logger buddy of mine this weekend, can't wait to get those bad boys on the mill and QS them. I see oak and sycamore are mentioned in that link you provided under the heading Figure Caused by Ray Structure, that's something a sawyer can do to produce unique looking lumber. I still don't understand why some sawyers refuse to QS, stuck in their ways I reckon :-D

Thanks

Attachments

• P5313186.jpg
    P5313186.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 131
  • P5313187.jpg
    P5313187.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 152
M

McRabbet

Those are some beautiful slabs, Jeff. Best bet may be to surface them in a large capacity drum sander. If they are uneven in thickness, they might need to be run through on a sled with shims to make the surface parallel to the drum. BTDT!

AL Spicer

New User
Al
Jeff,

I don't know the difference either, but I with Doug and Phil. I sure would like to get my hands on some of it for a clock project I want to do.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS