staining oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
Has anyone had any experience in matching white oak to red oak. I have some white oak that I bought very, very cheap and I am using it to replace my stair treads to my basement. My floors upstairs is red oak with what would be Minwax's Early American Stain. I just mainly want to come close.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Maybe you could try some bleach to see if you could lighten the wood before you put stain on it? But you know the grain will never look the same no matter what color you make the wood. It's true white oak and red oak are both oaks but the grain structure is quite different between the two.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
RE: Basement stairs to kitchen connection. Perhaps this transition area is a subtle one that really doesn't have to be stained to "match". Much different than stair treads leading upstairs from a main living area which would be much more visible and obvious.

+1 to the fact that the grain structures are much different between red and white oak. You could try your Minwax stain on that first transition piece and see how it looks to the untrained eye. It may not be "a hill worth dying on". :icon_scra

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Trust me, no one will notice this except you. Even if you point it out, most people just won't see it.

Berta

Asheville Hardware

New User
Asheville Hardware
Like Berta said, most people probably won't notice. Until you have a group of woodworkers over. :gar-Bi

If anyone does notice, they will just comment on how much nicer the White Oak stair treads look than Red Oak floor. Or perhaps that's just my wood snobbery coming out? :gar-La;

Scott <----Loves White Oak. Not so much Red Oak.

BWSmith

New User
BW
Its always been our contention that if a door separates the two spaces,then its fair game on changing species or direction of flrs.Am assuming you have a dr at the top of stairs?I'd make sure the upstair's noser matched the flr its attatched to then change from just under that for the balance of stairs.BW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS