Spray lacquer - Where did it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasjzl

New User
Jim
I know this is primarily a 'finishing' question but I thought it was more about acquiring material (spraying lacquer) which would fit into a more general forum.

I have just set up a spray booth and want to spray lacquer and all the lacquers I find at the usual big box suspect stores are "Brushing lacquer". I have not been refinishing for a number of years so I am wondering if someone could tell me why all lacquer is now 'brushing'? I have a feeling it has to do with EPA regulations and/or clean air? What I really need to know is how different is this 'Brushing lacquer', for example Deft brand, from the regular old spraying lacquer that I used to be able to get at Lowes and Home Depot down the street? Is it the same but with less 'volatiles' that make it slower to dry? I have been spraying it and it seems to work fine in my HVLP gun. It might be taking a little longer to dry but it has been so long since I have been doing refinishing I am not sure.

I am thinking of going to a Sherwin-Williams store and see if I can order some regular old lacquer, not BRUSHING, together with a sanding sealer to match it with. I am wondering if I am going to be able to buy it without some paperwork documenting that I have an 'approved' spray booth.

I would really appreciate anyone spraying lacquer to recommend sources. I am in the Raleigh/Durham area (Cary).

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Klingspor on Capital Blvd will have what you need. Wurth - The old Raleigh Hardwood - on Poole Rd will also but probably in only large amounts.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My understanding and experience is the Deft "Brushing Lacquer" label is there to allow it to meet regulations. Same stuff as the former spray version.

eyekode

New User
Salem
You also could try targetcoatings EM6000. I have used their USL (which is replaced by the EM6000) and have been very happy with it. Plus it is not as toxic.

goodmund

New User
goodmund
On the rare occasion I use lacquer, I use the brushing lacquer simply because I don't have a spray booth. I'm guessing neither do most Lowes and HD customers so that's why they carry the brushing variety. Probably has nothing to do with the EPA, just supply and demand. I'm not sure if there is a chemical difference, but the "brushing" label makes it sound easier for weekend warriors. The dedicated woodworking sources listed above will be able to furnish you with the spray variety and probably even explain the differences, if any.

Good luck!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
No chemical difference. Go check the earlier link to the Deft site. There is only one product and only one data sheet. Same thing comes in aerosol cans and in buckets.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
You can spray Deft brushing lacquer (clear wood finish) just fine.

I have bought NC lacquer and lacquer sanding sealer at the local Ace hdwre. I have also bought it at Klingspor's (Mohawk) and Woodcraft has it too.

Sherwin Williams should have lacquer and sealers, too.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS