spoon carving advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
so i am trying to carve a maple kitchen spoon. I started by bandsawing the general 2-D shape then i used a spoke shave to round the handle and the outside of the "bowl". I am having trouble shaping the inside of the spoon bowl, any suggestions?

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I've only made one spoon using my lathe. I did basically the same thing as Mike. I even have the same bowl scraping tool and another similar tool. Can't find that spoon now :dontknow: Someone likely left it at a family get together.
The rest of my spoons were roughed out with a hatchet, then a broken machete, then a draw knife switching tools as the shape progressed. For the bowls I use gouges/chisels. I have several in different sizes/cuts. I use a small piece of a limb from an elm tree as a mallet. Clamp 'er down and hack away til it looks like a spoon (actually the bowl requires a bit of care and gentle cutting). I do use the belt sander to shape the outside of the bowl - just a bump here and there for uniformity. Some I left a little rough and others I have finished nicely. Unfortunately my wife won't listen to me when I tell her the are NOT for stirring bread dough! She's broken 4 of my very best.
One of my favorites was made from a piece of solid pine lightwood I found one day while cruising timber. I gave it to the guy I was working with.

Got to get me one of them camera things so I can post some pitchers :gar-La;

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That's kinda funny Rob. I got back into spoon carving because my wife couldn't find a good dough spoon. I made her one out of hard maple and she's been using it for 16 years.

Most of my spoons are made just as you described except for the sander. I use a hand ax, spoke shave, spoon knife and a round card scraper.

I did the lathe spoons as a lark, just trying something new.

Here is another more refined version of a lathe spoon that is kinda famous in Great Britain, not for my making it but for the man who uses /owns it.

Spoonandbox.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS