Spindle Sander rebuild - Update #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I was able to disassemble the spindle mechanism down to just the spindle socket with its seized spindle which made it much easier to take to a local machine shop. For $25 he heated it up nice and hot and put a REALLY BIG WRENCH on it and successfully separated the two parts!!!!

Spindle socket assembly on the left and sanding spindle on the right:

IMG_30591.jpg

Close-up. The shaft of the spindle was buggered up from the wrench jaws by both of us (far right). Since it just holds a sanding sleeve and most of this end of the spindle is below the table, once I file it smooth it should be fine.

The threads at the bottom of the taper made it harder to remove the spindle than if there had just been a taper. Before I mount another spindle, I will use a tap or thread chaser to clean the threads and also dress or ream the Morse tapers on both the socket and all spindles. Lastly I will apply Anti-Seize to both parts!!!

IMG_30602.jpg

Except for the sander's table top, my spindle sander parts are spread out on my assembly (dis-assembly? :dontknow: ) table. I am cleaning the dirt, oil, grease, burrs, etc. from everything. I just have a few parts to go and hope to prime and paint it all tomorrow, and maybe reassemble everything on Sunday.

IMG_3058.jpg

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Looks like a fun project. I bought a used beat up 15-inch planer that received the same treatment. Enjoy the rebuild, and then enjoy the tool.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan, how long did it take to field strip it?

Actually not long. It took me longer to scratch my head, look at it, and decide if I wanted to take it all apart. It is so well built, but assembled with nuts and bolts so breaks down easily. I just hope I remember how it all goes back together!

If the amount of impacted dust on the outside is an indication of heavy use, then the total absence of any indication of internal wear means this thing will outlast my grandchildren!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Looking good so far Alan. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I think if I were going to completely disassemble something and put it back together, I'd take a BUNCH of pictures while taking it apart. :icon_thum

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
and a millwright to boot. I would hate to have to read your resume, it must be 40 pages long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors