Spiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
Daddy Long Leg spiders, I have a mess of them in the basement shop, have never been able to get rid of them.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Daddy Long Leg spiders, I have a mess of them in the basement shop, have never been able to get rid of them.
Fortunately, they are not considered harmful to humans. There are actually two arachnids commonly referred to around here as daddy long-legs. The ones that look like a small, brown pea with legs are also known as "harvestmen" (photo) and don't even have venom glands (completely harmless and not actually spiders). Where I grew up (Michigan) these were the definitive "daddy long-legs."

Around here, I frequently see the "daddy long-leg spider," which is a true spider (standard spider segmentation, photo) and has very weak venom... and apparently no known cases of problems to humans.

BTW, I have taught nature study groups (schoolkids) on several occasions where accompanying adults misidentified crane flies as "daddy long-legs." How something with two huge wings is confused with an arachnid is beyond me. :dontknow:

Just an observation-- Don't mean to offend anyone, but it seems pretty obvious to me where (most) arachnophobia comes from. Every time I run across a kid who is hysterically afraid of one, there seems to be a parent with him/her who is equally hysterical. When I've been with very young children (3-6) in learning environments (like at the museum), and they aren't "being protected" by their parents, they will often touch and/or pick up spiders... often with little or no reservations. Obviously, there are good reasons to not do this haphazardly, so that's why the fear is taught by parents. Personally, I have no aversion to spiders in or around my home, although I admit they freak me out when they surprise me. Otherwise, I couldn't care about them at all. And from that, my son isn't bothered in the least... since he was 5 y.o., he has been the resident spider relocator for my wife (1 glass + 1 hard piece of cardboard = 1 spider moved outside). ;)

Rob

New User
Rob
Spider's don't bother me in the least. I just hate the webs they leave all around. Snakes on the other hand, while I'm not the screaming and run afraid of them, I don't like handling them.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I also use the Ortho Home defense. I don't know if it really killed the spiders or just removed their food source and so they left. I do notice they no longer build their nests around my windows and doors since I started spraying around them.

Probably my best defense around here are the mud dauber wasps. I notice that they pack their mud tubes with small paralyzed spiders to feed the wasp larvae.

Go

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't believe that spiders were around when Noah was stocking his Ark. They were dropped on this planet by alien beings from another planet, just for the sole purpose of freaking me out. I think the only way to get rid of them is to march them all to the closest UFO landing site and make them all get on-board for the return trip home.

ss600r

New User
Steve
Just to update, so far the Ortho Home Defense has done the trick. I would say 90% of bugs are gone including spiders.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Well here is my 2 cents worth.

In the laundry isle there is 20 mule team borax. 2 cups per 1.5 gal hot water. spray base ot shop. Kill food spiders leave. Eco friendly wont harm pets and cheap. I spray outside of my house 2 times per year.Not saying its perfect but works for me.

Thanks Mark

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
We lived in Hawaii in the 70's and we frequently had geckos in the house. One of the most comforting sounds was them "clicking" at night. They did a great job of keeping most of the other bugs away.

Of course; that was before they started selling insurance!:gar-La;

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Well here is my 2 cents worth.

In the laundry isle there is 20 mule team borax. 2 cups per 1.5 gal hot water. spray base ot shop. Kill food spiders leave. Eco friendly wont harm pets and cheap. I spray outside of my house 2 times per year.Not saying its perfect but works for me.

Thanks Mark

If I am not mistaken, it also fireproofs at the same time. My dad used to spray the natural Christmas tree before he brought it in the house, to kill any bugs as well as get it to hold the needles longer. Six months later the tree still would not burn.

Go

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I like that borax idea. Think I'll mix some up just to keep around.

Brought a bandsaw home once (3 hour drive one way)

28-350a.jpg

It had been sitting outside and had a mess of webs in the bottom. This photo is of the insides while still in my van
IMG_3370.jpg

Once I got the saw upright and back into the shop, I opened it up to clean it out and there, in plain view, was a lady hitch hiker I really hadn't wanted to bring home.

hitch3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS