Speaking of SawStop

John Marquis

John
User
Being new to woodworking I was thinking of getting a SawStop PCS 36" 1.75 HP during the current promotion. From the research I have done it looks like a good quality saw with the added benefit of the safety features. I would love some opinions.

Also, thanks for Pete G for the video. It was very informative.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Being new to woodworking I was thinking of getting a SawStop PCS 36" 1.75 HP during the current promotion. From the research I have done it looks like a good quality saw with the added benefit of the safety features. I would love some opinions.

Also, thanks for Pete G for the video. It was very informative.
I would get the 3 HP version. There are times when more umpff is needed.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The 3 hp saw stop is the most popular. So another reason to buy, because if you decide to sell it is easier to resell and you will get a higher price if you do precentage relative to the original purchase price.

llucas

luke
Senior User
I've had the 3hp sawstop for about 10 years and really like it. Very well made, great fit and finish. It performs well even on 8/4 oak and hard maple, but I would rec. the 3 hp over the 1.75hp.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I have the 1.75 hp and wish I would have gone with 3 hp. Other than that it is a great saw you won’t regret buying.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the 3HP 36" and have no regrets. The 36" also comes with the improved fence.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also have the 3HP 36". Also bought mine about 10 years ago. Love it.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I have in my personal shop the 1.75 hp and picked up the 3 hp a couple years ago both 36", extremely well made and the instructions/assemble kit is the best. No regrets but depending on your use/needs the 3 hp I recommend. But I can say when I only had the 1.75 hp only due to no 220 in the shop I never had it bog down and I saw a lot of 4/4 lumber.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Another vote for 3 HP. I had a contractor saw 1.75. Struggled with 8/4 hardwoods even with thin kerf blades. Forget full depth rips for re-sawing. 3 HP you can do full kerf rips in anything. If you do get the small motor, then you pretty much need dedicated rip and crosscut thin kerf blades.

This is not the place to go cheap. Do it right and do it once even if it means putting in a 220 line.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I’ve had the 3hp PCS running on 220 for about 5 years and am very happy with it (though it spent 2 years in storage due to moving). Space isn’t an issue, so I decided to go with the 52”. Did I need the extra 16”? Absolutely - I don’t know where I’d pile the extra crap I have there if that space weren’t available.

John Marquis

John
User
Thanks to all for the responses. I manged to put in a 220V outlet, so I'm going go ahead and get the 3HP. Now my only issue is 36" or 52". I do not have a lot of space. I'm wondering if the 52" would be used very often.

Echd

C
User
I have the 52. I find it handy. It's not an unstable platform but you won't be chiseling or planing on it. That said a place to stack pieces is very handy.

I could live without it, but I go personally find it useful. I've used the extended length only a handful of times for sawing... but I've used it as a table constantly.

llucas

luke
Senior User
I have the 52" because I have the room, but the extension only serves as a tabletop for a cabinet I built to go under it for storage of blades, jigs, miter gauges, etc. I have only used the extra length for cuts a handful of times....but since I got a track saw that is a thing of the past.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Like the last 2, I have the 52” but also have plenty of room. The extra cutting length is used very infrequently for cutting, but the table is always in use. I also built a rolling cabinet with drawers to go under it that holds blades, inserts, push sticks, etc., and my crosscut sled sits on top of that cabinet.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I have the 1.75hp PCS, I like it fine, and so far the added power of a 3hp saw hasn't been an issue. I don't do large stock cutting though, so depending on your use and funds, the lower HP saw might be okay. If you've got the money, go big, you won't regret it.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the 36. I don’t have enough room for the 52. In all this time I have never found anything that I could not cut on it. One thing that I recommend is the mobile base. It comes in handy in a small shop.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I also have a 3HP PCS. My previous saw was 52” but the SS is 36. I rarely eve had the fence past 32” and the extra space allowed me to add an extension to the left, which is very handy. If you have the space.

I think the T glide fence is standard if not you definitely want it.

Also, because if the internal dust shroud and duct you need to use the dust collection or the flex duct will clog up.

The guard has great dust collection. I ended up buying a small shop vac and remote switch just for it.

IMG_1260.JPG

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors