Spalted Wood Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice Figures

New User
Sharon Barrett & Paula LaBelle
I know there must be someone that can give me a technical but straight forward answer to this question.

Is it safe to use spalted wood for items that are used in food preparation and storage? Like for bowls, spatulas, spoons, chop sticks etc..

Thanks, Paula

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I'm certainly no expert in it, but IMHO I don't think it would be safe because spalting is a fungus that I have always been warned about breathing the dust when working it. I've used some spalted pecan, maple, white oak and sycamore with no apparent problems however I would not use them for anything contacting food.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I dont think it would be safe either.

Paula,

I have some pictures.. just been slow in sending :(

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I personally wouldn't waste beautiful spalted wood in a utilitarian bowl. The fungi that causes the spalting is destroyed by the kiln drying process, and once the bowl is turned and finished it is sealed with what ever finish is used. I wouldn't guarantee that using spalted wood is safe in food service utensils, but I also wouldn't be concerned about it's dangers. We inhale much worse fungal spores everyday in general life, and there is often more fungi present in our food (i.e. Blue Cheese) than you could find in a wooden bowl or utensil.
I wouldn't use it because I think it is a waste of beautiful wood that could be showcased as a more decorative item.
Dave:)

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Spalted wood is definitely caused by water, relative humidity and fungus. You can make a lot of things from spalted wood if fungus hasn’t completely rotted the wood.

If you catch spalted wood in time, making something may halt the fungus growth. Not sure if fungus dies or not. Would think if left unfinished and given right condition fungus would start growing again and completely rot the wood.

Would not be comfortable using spalted wood around food items. If finish is compromised, your back to wood with a fungus waiting for right conditions to start growing again.

Have turned many items using spalted wood, mainly dust collectors. Also made several pens using spalted wood, and finished with either Deft, or Hut Crystal Coat (shellac), and either Hut PPP combo sticks or Johnson wax over that. One of those oops button click pens finished with crystal coat & PPP, now devoid of almost all finish, is my desktop pen for taking notes.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Spalted wood totaly rocks for turned items and other things which are meant to be shown off. I'll add another nay as far as contact with food sources.

Rotten wood is such a relative thing. We've all seen standing trees that are quite rotted and fallen logs that are still in really good shape. It all depends upon the type of wood and conditions. For sure though, spalt is one of the first things that can get deep into wood long before it would be considered punky - which is one of the cool things about it. If you find that the wood is punky, or rotten, then you have more than just spalting going on. Not to worry though, wood hardener can bring nearly bad wood back and make it workable again.

That's probably more about spalt than anyone wanted to know :)

There are tons of examples in the photo galleries of spalting on many varieties of wood. The all look quite different.

M

McRabbet

As a kid, I can remember going into the woods at night in upstate New York looking for old deadfalls -- in the stages of wood decay that starts with spalting and moves into full-fledged rotting, many woods will bioluminesce when disturbed. We were intrigued by this phenomenon, know as "foxfire". I agree with the others regarding not using spalted wood where there is food exposure.

Nice Figures

New User
Thanks everyone, I've used spalted woods in lots of projects, turnings and decorative items. It's always interesting because each piece is different. I was really hoping someone with a science background (I know there are a bunch of you out there) could tell me about the spalting, if the fungus "dies" when the wood dries, if it can "comes back" if the wood gets wet (like when washing a bowl or spoon), if it comes in contact with anything that is consumed will it make people sick? Do you know anyone or anywhere I can go to get these answers? This would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Paula

Nice Figures

New User
Thanks Dave,
These are helpful links. I also found some information on the AAW (American Association of Woodturners) site. Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors