Some Carvewright Signage (Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
This was a commission from a local photographer.
The large sign is 2 sides, each side done seperately in order to attach them to the original sign.
The size is 48 by 47", material is 1/2" thick Extira, similiar to MDF but using phenolic resin as the binder, making it excellent for exterior use. I used high quality Sherwin Williams paint, which is recommended by Extira.

The small sign is also Extira, 2 1/2" thick pieces laminated together.

The original large sign that we replaced:
large%20before.jpg

The pieces cut and carved:

carved pieces.jpg

Pieces joined:

joined.jpg

Primed:

primed.jpg

Painted:
The NK in the logo is Gold gilded.

painted.jpg

The frame is rough pressure treated 4 by 4's so I had gaps between the signs and the frame. I used pieces of scrap Extira to make molding to go around the signs, hiding the gaps. I painted the frame since it was unpainted before.
(The sign frame is level, my camera wasn't)

large after1.jpg

And a small sign at the business entrance:

small after1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Not just a nice job but an outstanding job!

I am amazed at how well the seams come together, I can even see where the boards are joined. The lettering is perfect and very well chosen and placed.

Altogether a fantastic looking sign.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Beautiful sign ... pretty neat how you put it all together and got it up for display. Where did you buy that exterior MDF stuff?

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Beautiful sign ... pretty neat how you put it all together and got it up for display. Where did you buy that exterior MDF stuff?
Thanks guys. This one was a bugger. LOML and I did it in the old 11 foot wide shop and I think that is what made her insist we get a new bigger shop.
Jeremy, just browse Extira.com and they have a link to distributors. There is one in Greenville SC so I'm sure there is one in Vharlotte.
Ken

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken that sign turned out just great. Do you make signs for a living or is this a side?

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Thanks.
Scott, it's absolutely part time. That was really the first real sign we've done, everything else has been small address signs and carvings of wildlife.

Glenn, I guess I do now! :)
That is a gilding kit from Michaels. The coating said it was for exterior and it has held up good for several months.

toolman

New User
Chad
Ken your sign looks great! :icon_thum How do you like your Carvewright? I would love to get one.. :tool:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
WOW!!!!! That is IMPRESSIVE!!!!

How do you like the Carvewright? Seems you have the usage of it down very well.

crokett

New User
David
How'd you get the paint on the letters so crisp and clean? I had somebody do a sign for my wife's business. He had the idea of applying adhesive shelf paper before he started carving and he carved through the paper. That way the paper acted as a mask for the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS