Solidworks cad software for veterans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I just to let any vet on here know that they can get a copy of solidworks for $20

I got the info from another forum I read,

go to solidworks website
click how to buy to of screen.
right side click Military Veterans Program

Follow instructions on screen
I did have to sign the form and send a copy of my 214 in with it to get it.
I got a email from them this morning and it is a link to pay the $20 for it. According to the site it will be up to 2 business days before shipping.

It is good for 1 year. My understanding you can redo it every year.

I will post a follow up when I get the software.

John

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
This is a very cool gesture on the part of Solidworks. For those that are unfamiliar with the product (for technical 3D design and computer controlled manufacturing) it sells to non-veterans for $3,995, and a follow-on annual subscription fee of $1,295. An excellent way for them to step up for veterans.

Now where did I put that DD214?

K

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Received the disk from solidworks today.it is the student edition.
I haven't really played much with it yet but i do need to find a good video source on using it.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Clearly a good program and a good deal. For woodworking planning will it do anything Sketchup can't that the average person might want to do?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have been using Solidworks for years, great once you know it. I do all my furniture designs with it using the parametric features where you design each part and the assemble it on the computer. Once you start assembling the piece, all the common faults one would make in the shop shows up. It is much easier to fix the part drawing, rather that cut a new piece of wood.:D

You can also design moving parts, for example pull a drawer in and out, close a door etc.

At the price though, I am still on the 2006 full version.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Willem, you say, "...you design each part and the assemble it on the computer." Is it the standard procedure to draw all the parts and then assemble the project on the in SolidWorks?

nblanton

New User
Nate
Thanks, this is really great since I've learned Solidworks while I was in school and never really got the feel for Sketchup the way I did with Solidworks. I'm sure the capability is all there for Sketchup, but it really seemed like it was not as good of a program. To bad Inventor isn't that cheap, as I used it more at work lately for a few parts I had to have machined.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Willem, you say, "...you design each part and the assemble it on the computer." Is it the standard procedure to draw all the parts and then assemble the project on the in SolidWorks?

Well yes and no. If I design a piece for a customer, I would do just a 3D model of the whole piece as one drawing, as this is fast and not much work. I will give the customer a photo realistic 3D model with an .exe program allowing him to rotate the model and look at it from every angle.

But once I have to build the piece, I go ahead and design each part exactly the way it needs to be milled in the shop, then assemble all the parts on the computer, again exactly the same way it would be done in the shop.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to concentration and focus. So I find myself making mistakes in the shop and then beating myself up for wasting wood and time. With a complex piece to be built using Solidworks parametric designs, I do not have to think, or focus or concentrate. I just follow the 3D drawings, make no mistakes and it usually saves me a whole bunch of time.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Thanks, this is really great since I've learned Solidworks while I was in school and never really got the feel for Sketchup the way I did with Solidworks. I'm sure the capability is all there for Sketchup, but it really seemed like it was not as good of a program. To bad Inventor isn't that cheap, as I used it more at work lately for a few parts I had to have machined.

I have the full 2014 Inventor package available at work, but don't use it simply because of years of experience with Solidworks and I can't find both the time and frustrations to learn a new piece of software.:)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the full 2014 Inventor package available at work, but don't use it simply because of years of experience with Solidworks and I can't find both the time and frustrations to learn a new piece of software.:)

Yea and Solidworks and Inventory are quite a bit different!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought the 3D portion of Inventor was just Autodesk ripping off Solidworks. They are a lot more similar than either is to SketchUp.
Nate, that is true, VERY had for me to wrap my head around Sketch-up after Inventor!

But since it has been 4 or 5 years, I probably couldn't do the first thing in Inventor any more either!

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Well yes and no. If I design a piece for a customer, I would do just a 3D model of the whole piece as one drawing, as this is fast and not much work. I will give the customer a photo realistic 3D model with an .exe program allowing him to rotate the model and look at it from every angle.

But once I have to build the piece, I go ahead and design each part exactly the way it needs to be milled in the shop, then assemble all the parts on the computer, again exactly the same way it would be done in the shop.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to concentration and focus. So I find myself making mistakes in the shop and then beating myself up for wasting wood and time. With a complex piece to be built using Solidworks parametric designs, I do not have to think, or focus or concentrate. I just follow the 3D drawings, make no mistakes and it usually saves me a whole bunch of time.

Like you, when I'm doing design work for a client, I generally start out with a fairly simplistic model although depending on what changes I anticipate might be needed, I will use a combination of individual components and some more simplistic modeling. Instead of drawing all the parts and then assembling them, though, I draw all the parts in place. So, for example, if I were drawing a cabinet, I would start with the left side, copy it and flip it to make the right side which I would put in the correct location. From there it's a very simple matter to draw the parts that go between the sides to fit. There's no need to figure out how long those pieces need to be. I let SketchUp tell me that when I've completed the model.

It is possible in SketchUp to (and some people do) draw each piece separately and then assemble the parts to make the 3D model.

Is it possible in Solidworks to follow a similar work flow?

In case there's any interest, there's an old video here. that shows that.

Last edited:

dave

New User
Dave
It is good for 1 year. My understanding you can redo it every year.

I will post a follow up when I get the software.

John

John,

Can you confirm that this can be renewed on a yearly basis? I email SW about this, but did not receive a reply.

Dave

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
John,

Can you confirm that this can be renewed on a yearly basis? I email SW about this, but did not receive a reply.

Dave

Sorry can't confirm this, just going by what was mention on the board that i fond it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS